Main > The Library

The Belgariad by David Eddings

(1/3) > >>

Sir Sorbus:
There are no words for how disappointed I was when the search function found nothing on this series. For me, it is the absolute epitome of fantasy. It takes me right away from the stresses of reality, into a excellently defined world, with powerful and creative (if stereotypical) characters. This one series really introduced me to the fantasy genre (and to a love of reading itself) at the age of 5, and I have never considered another series to be its equal. If you haven't read it, I REALLY recommend it.
As a warning, the first book IS a little slow, and the development of the protagonist is predictable, but the series is worth the read, without a doubt. Just because something is cliche doesn't mean it can't be excellent.

Thorsteinn:
David Eddings was a somewhat local, having lived the last bit of his life in Carson City. He's my mom's favorite author & I started reading his stuff in High School.

BTW have you ever noted the similarities between the Belgariad/ Mallorean series's and the Ellenium/Tamuli series's?

Sir Sorbus:
I have noticed, yes, though I haven't read the Elenium/Tamuli in a goodly while now.
Whilst still a good read, it's a shame that Eddings didn't come up with many new ideas whilst he was still around.

Sir Brian:
Yes David Eddings is my all time favorite author! I also read the Belgariad/ Mallorean and the Ellenium/Tamuli Series and agree that the general premise of two series was the same however this of course could be said of nearly all fantasy genres. What I commend the most about David Edding’s writing style is his phenomenal dialogues between his characters which is possibly the hardest aspect of writing a novel IMO.  ;)

Sir William:
I've never heard of this guy to my recollection.  Since I dig fantasy, I'll look him up.  I'm wrapping up the Sword of Truth series now, on the last book, Confessor and will be looking for something to fill the time until the next thing catches my fancy.

I like formulaic stuff from time to time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version