Main > The Armoury

Rust, preventing and cleaning

<< < (2/27) > >>

Lord Dane:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2012-08-20, 01:32:52 ---
Those grey scotchbrites are fantastic. They're the ones Albion recommends, and uses for their finishing. You can wipe down Albions with them and not alter the finish, as a result.

--- End quote ---

What's recommended for the finish on polished stainless steel to regain its luster after stripping off the rust, particularly my Windlass arming sword??

Sir Brian:
My armor cleaning has always consisted of Turtle Chrome Polish/Rust Remover with a green scrub pad, wipe off with a rag then a good wipe down with Remmington gun oil. Really tough rust gets a steel wool scrub and the serious rust goes under a wire wheel.

merc3065:
I've been using a scotch brite pad with Tom's Secret Formula B404.  It's a natural corn oil that is non toxic.  I've not had any major rust issues until recently with leather soaking up tons of sweat moisture and causing some epic levels of rust underneath the leather strips on the back of the armour.

So I've had to work oil into those areas that are inaccessible just to slow the rust down.

I've had very good luck with the B404 and have been using it for almost a year now.  Biggest thing is to let the armour and leather dry after you've sweat in the stuff, then condition the leather and the metal after it's dried.  If there's enough residual oil or wax on it you generally won't get too much in the way of flash rusting as the moisture can't penetrate and affect the metal's surface.

Sir William:
I use Flitz, and a microfiber or terry cloth to rub in and wipe down- it seems to work well on both armor and swords- altho in my case they're all carbon steel, non-stainless so there's that to consider.  I don't leave any of the items in any sort of protective enclosure- I've had some rust issues, usually after a hard day but beyond that, nothing that can't be cleaned up with a few sprays of Flitz and some elbow grease.

Leganoth:
My main problem is finger stains/dirt from finger prints, thats what really bothers me, could never find a way to remove them and avoid it

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version