Main > The Armoury

Improving my kit for Days of Knights.

<< < (11/16) > >>

Sir William:
My first real sword was an older Windlass cut-and-thrust model (that was what it was called too, iirc); I happened upon it after I'd gotten discouraged when all I could find were places like CRKT at the mall and the various flea-bag markets in and around Baltimore - all wall hanger garbage but for a beginner, it was like striking oil for the first time.  Til I started learning about swords, really learning- by hands-on experience first (my first few wallhangers broke under use, as they were supposed to, but scared the crap outta me) and later on from reading.  A lot.  Anyway, it was about that time that I started researching jousting and imagine my surprise when I found out that it was still being done.  Came across the King's Champions- one in particular, Lloyd Clark, became somewhat of a 'hero' of mine.  He used the same sword in his competitions so that was the one I went with.  I still have it...and have plans for it too.  It has a stupid screw-off pommel.  lol

Sir Edward:

Threaded pommels have their place. It does make modifications to the grip a lot easier to do.

Also, there's a historical account of someone using one in a duel. In judicial duels, there was a time when the rules required the opponents to start by throwing one of their weapons at the other guy, and this one person unscrewed his pommel and threw that. Threaded pommels weren't at all common, so it's suspected that he had it built that way just for this purpose, and that the hilt was probably still peened together in front of it.

But yeah, swords of all price-points can have their place. It's also worth mentioning that some of the A&A swords are cheaper than Albions, and they're quite good.

Sir Ulrich:
http://darksword-armory.com/products-page/medieval-swords/the-norman-sword-1303/#
Checked this site out and saw this. I like it better than the other norman sword they got, the other one I dont really like how the blade tapers too much and has the round looking crossguard but this one looks nicer with its flatter crossguard and less tapering blade. Just wondering if its scabbard comes in black. Only complaint I got about it is the pommel looks a bit small on it.

Sir Edward:

DSA does a good job for the price. That's not a bad way to go.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2012-10-04, 09:16:51 ---http://darksword-armory.com/products-page/medieval-swords/the-norman-sword-1303/#
Checked this site out and saw this. I like it better than the other norman sword they got, the other one I dont really like how the blade tapers too much and has the round looking crossguard but this one looks nicer with its flatter crossguard and less tapering blade. Just wondering if its scabbard comes in black. Only complaint I got about it is the pommel looks a bit small on it.

--- End quote ---

Call/email and ask. They have other items with black leatherwork, I think they could.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version