Main > The Armoury

Bastardsword length preference?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Sir William:
I'm a fan of the 36" blade, 48" overall length...but then, I have shorter arms considering my height.

Thorsteinn:
I'm going with 54" before thrusting tip given that I can always cut it down.

I will also be adding a smashie pommel. Because the paragraph below is something I've wanted to do for a while now:

This is another injuring with the pommel. And if you can do it immediately, if he has his face uncovered, then do it without doubt, because you can do it armoured or unarmoured. With this play you can take four teeth out of one's mouth, as he has experienced. And if you wanted, you could shove the sword at his neck, as the student does after me.

Leganoth:
Mine is 46 or 48 inches, dont remember

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---I'm going with 54" before thrusting tip given that I can always cut it down.

I will also be adding a smashie pommel. Because the paragraph below is something I've wanted to do for a while now:

This is another injuring with the pommel. And if you can do it immediately, if he has his face uncovered, then do it without doubt, because you can do it armoured or unarmoured. With this play you can take four teeth out of one's mouth, as he has experienced. And if you wanted, you could shove the sword at his neck, as the student does after me.
--- End quote ---

Hahahaha!  Thorsteinn, I am impressed at your choice of design and for your Fiore reference!  ;D

The Technique that Thorsteinn chose is Fiore's Gioco Stretto (Close Play or Zogho Stretto) Play 4 which it details a bind in close measure and a short turn of both hands into the opponent with the pommel strike.  Lovely technique indeed.  :D

Oh by the way Thorsteinn, don't forget about this Play as well.  ;)

"This grabbing of the sword is called the upper grab
And was done a thousand time by Fiore from Friuli.

This the high disarming of the sword; by keeping/holding back my sword, I push forward and with my left hand I clench/compress his arms in a way that he would be better off to lose his sword. And I will cheaply [without risk?] cause great injuries. The student which is after me, this play shows how the player's sword goes to the ground.

If to your sword I’ll put my handle
I’ll make it fall by this technique."

(Hint, it involves a close quater grapple ending with a pommel strike  ;))

Thorsteinn:
Finally got the rattan carved a bit, the stick is 1.5" & the hilt is 1 3/8". I hope to have most of the sword done today. I took an inch off the blade to account for the thrusting tip.

I'm going to do a leather wrapped grip I think. The hilt will be 12-13" pre-smashy pommel.

@Jogh: That play is a good & awesome one! I've used it in HEMA & Kendo, but it's a wee bit illegal in the SCA lest I can grab their sword hilt. (he shows how to do that in the below vid :) )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version