Main > The Armoury

New helm Part 2

<< < (5/6) > >>

Sir Ulrich:
I may just go with the headband idea though the best idea would be a padded coif. I got one but it still doesn't cover my forehead.
I could do that but it would take quite a bit of sewing and cleaning the maille would be a pain then as I'd have to detach that and then clean it. But I may just do it because I cant stand the feel of the maille against my bare skin, it hurts and irritates my rather soft skin.

I also would like to trim the avantail of the coif to make it square like many 13th century coifs not sure how to do that though as it's round and rather large. Should I just use wire snips to cut it to a square?

Sir William:

--- Quote from: Lord_Dane on 2012-07-16, 21:37:34 ---Sir Ulrich, I am happy you found your look. Not to be pessimistic but...the flat-top pot helmet looks very bulky, pertruding, & not proportionate to your head. Why did you not try a transitional flat-top crusader helmet instead?? It is smaller in size, almost same look for your aimed time-period (Crusader-era: 1100-1300), & might fit more comfortable.

--- End quote ---

Period specific helms were larger - to accomodate the padding and maille that would've been worn underneath it.  Also, Ulrich is a smaller, lighter knight than say, you or I, so it may look disproportionate but the fit is good and the protection it offers is of course tantamount to its looks.

I suspect that if he bulked up, it would look more 'fashionable' for him, but I'm thinking it'll look better when he's got his entire kit assembled and put on.

Ulrich, you linked the same helm as the one I sent you...looks like they ask quite a bit more for it.  I lucked out- that was the one I got from Scott Adkins over at Historical Enterprises when he was vetting some old inventory...a nice helm but it didn't suit me.  Glad you like it, man!

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2012-07-17, 17:05:45 ---I also would like to trim the avantail of the coif to make it square like many 13th century coifs not sure how to do that though as it's round and rather large. Should I just use wire snips to cut it to a square?

--- End quote ---

Yep

Leganoth:

--- Quote from: Lord_Dane on 2012-07-16, 21:37:34 ---Sir Ulrich, I am happy you found your look. Not to be pessimistic but...the flat-top pot helmet looks very bulky, pertruding, & not proportionate to your head. Why did you not try a transitional flat-top crusader helmet instead?? It is smaller in size, almost same look for your aimed time-period (Crusader-era: 1100-1300), & might fit more comfortable.

--- End quote ---

Yes ulrich get a helm like us. one of us...one of us...

Sir Ulrich:
My head circumference is 25 1/2 with my padded coif and maille on, my kettle helm with a 26 circumference doesn't fit me properly and digs the maille into my forehead which hurts a lot. Guess I just naturally have a big head size. This new helm fits perfectly with my head though which I like. Now to find a kettle helm that is at least 26 1/2 or 27 circumference wise to replace my current one so I can be both a sergeant and a knight at the same time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version