Main > The Armoury

New helm Part 2

<< < (4/6) > >>

Sir Ulrich:
Well it's a size large and fits well over a coif, without the coif it looks bulky and whatnot but with it looks better. I have a rather large head (even my maille coif has trouble fitting on and off my head), If I went with a smaller size it probably wouldn't of fit over my maille. I dunno where to find any helms of that design other than GDFB stuff which is all made in 14 gauge and heavy as hell. Also not interested in buying SCA style armor because well, it's overly thick and not very practical for faires. Got any links for armor thats similar I'd be happy to see, but most armor sold here is SCA stuff which isn't exactly historical in appearance. Hard to find good living history quality stuff in america as theres not much of a market for it here.

Lord Dane:

--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2012-07-16, 22:42:30 ---Well it's a size large and fits well over a coif, without the coif it looks bulky and whatnot but with it looks better. I have a rather large head (even my maille coif has trouble fitting on and off my head), If I went with a smaller size it probably wouldn't of fit over my maille. I dunno where to find any helms of that design other than GDFB stuff which is all made in 14 gauge and heavy as hell. Also not interested in buying SCA style armor because well, it's overly thick and not very practical for faires. Got any links for armor thats similar I'd be happy to see, but most armor sold here is SCA stuff which isn't exactly historical in appearance. Hard to find good living history quality stuff in america as theres not much of a market for it here.

--- End quote ---

Not in United States per se but Canada has a good market for ren-faire & quality armourers in the Quebec & Montreal areas.  Might search there for the time-period quality stuff you seek that meets SCA standards.

Sir Ulrich:
With an arming cap and coif it fits perfectly, much better than with my padded coif. Now that I finally properly baked my maille and it's not all oily I can finally use the arming cap properly. Still need to find a way to keep the maille OFF of my forehead though as it's rather uncomfortable being there and an arming cap does little by those means. I dont think the helms too bulky now that it fits perfectly, but I will admit the faceplate is a bit on the large side making it seem bigger than it actually is.

Lord Dane:

--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2012-07-17, 01:51:17 ---With an arming cap and coif it fits perfectly, much better than with my padded coif. Now that I finally properly baked my maille and it's not all oily I can finally use the arming cap properly. Still need to find a way to keep the maille OFF of my forehead though as it's rather uncomfortable being there and an arming cap does little by those means. I dont think the helms too bulky now that it fits perfectly, but I will admit the faceplate is a bit on the large side making it seem bigger than it actually is.

--- End quote ---

For keeping the maille off your forehead....here's my method: Wrap a single or double-braided 1/4-1/2 inch colored chord from some place like JoAnn Fabrics, Michael's, etc.  Take a look.

Sir Wolf:
what if you sewed a liner or a rim around the face opening? i have seen it done with thin leather. like an edging.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version