Main > The Courtyard

Harnessfechten, using the pommel (video)

<< < (3/3)

Lord Dane:

--- Quote from: Thorsteinn on 2012-07-16, 23:48:04 ---
--- Quote from: Lord_Dane on 2012-07-16, 23:00:41 ---Halfing longsword technique is much like modern baton techniques I teach to officers. It is very good to know modern law enforcement practices share a common root with my medieval pursuits. :)

--- End quote ---

An SCA knight used Roman shield wall tactics to retrain the Phoenix PD some 10 years back. The same ones his war unit used at Estrella, GWW, & Pennsic. London PD uses Anglo-Saxon tactics in their riot squad too.

BTW the above vids show why helm time is really important to maintaining proper flow in kit.

Keep the vids coming! :D

--- End quote ---

Reference to the Anglo-Saxon 'shield wall' is credited I presume to be more Viking/Nordic in origin. Roman tactics are very much prevalent in our practices. :) 

Thorsteinn:
In one scene in the show they watch the Brits PD in action. :)

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2012-07-13, 23:48:31 ---They have some sexy kits!

--- End quote ---

Indeed!

I feel like some of this needs to be incorporated into a longsword combat demo at VARF next year, particularly if we can get an hour long block.

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---Halfing longsword technique is much like modern baton techniques I teach to officers. It is very good to know modern law enforcement practices share a common root with my medieval pursuits. :)
--- End quote ---

That is a nice comparison and the functions are similar as either combatants sought to humiliate each other or to hold them for ransom (which is the usual outcomes in most historical judicial duels.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version