Main > The Armoury

Pistol question.

<< < (2/5) > >>

Ian:
I'll vouch for Sig as well.  I was issued a Sig when deployed and preferred it way over the Beretta as a sidearm. I also own a Sig 516 Patrol (their piston driven ar-15) and love that gun.  You will however pay a lot more for a Sig in most cases than a Glock, M&P, or XD if that's the issue.  Why .45 btw?  Modern ballistics and bullet design have put to rest the 'stopping power myth' for quite some time now. You can shoot something just as dead with a high quality 9mm defense round, or if you still want some more 'oomph' a .40 is a lot cheaper to feed than a .45. I own both, my .45 is a Kimber 1911 and gets very little love because .45 ACP is so expensive to plink with.

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Lord_Dane on 2012-07-03, 06:51:59 ---I'm a SIG Sauer certified firearms instructor/armorer. Hoping to be their poster boy someday. :) My favs are SP2022, P229R both in .40 caliber.

--- End quote ---

Very cool. I have a pair of P229's, but neither of them have rails. I should have held out for that, I suppose. But I have one in 9mm (with tritium sights), and one on .40 (with plain irons).

Not only are they reliable, but I found that they fit my hand the best of most of the handguns I've picked up, especially with Hogue grips. I also like their method of "safety" for carry, in the form of a de-cocking lever rather than a hard safety switch. They're always ready, just in double-action for the first shot. But you guys know that. :)

Thorsteinn:
If I had the cash I would be going for a 1911, M&P, or XD series gun but I don't. :(

... and my shooting skills suck. :(

The reason I want something larger than a 9mm is that I don't want to have to worry about what kind of ammo is in the gun when I shoot the guy. Too many folks I know have had to shoot a whole clip of 9mm into a dude to stop him (in a surprise panic situation your targeting skills can be iffy), so yeah, for ball ammo a 40 or 45 has better one shot stop numbers and less "go through your wall & kill the dude next door" numbers too.  ;)

So I'm stuck with the "9mm will be affordable able to increase my lackluster skills" and the "The meth heads & 1%'ers around here are big dudes" and the "mountain lions and bears like this state" needs.

BTW I've had a p226 pointed at me in anger. It was plenty intimidating then.  :D

Sir Edward:

That's what I like about .40 S&W, particularly with hollow points. You can still make nice big holes, but it's almost as cheap as 9mm for practice, and almost as high capacity (for instance, the .40 Sig 229 holds 12+1, and the 9mm version's capacity is 13+1).

Granted, they say that in most life or death situations, it's rare to fire more than 5 or 6 times. But even still, I tend to prefer a weapon that is a little more concealable, cost effective to practice with, and carries just a few extra rounds.

But that's me. I know a lot of people swear by their .45 ACP.

Ian:

--- Quote from: Thorsteinn on 2012-07-03, 19:12:48 --- (in a surprise panic situation your targeting skills can be iffy), so yeah, for ball ammo a 40 or 45 has better one shot stop numbers and less "go through your wall & kill the dude next door" numbers too.  ;)

So I'm stuck with the "9mm will be affordable able to increase my lackluster skills" and the "The meth heads & 1%'ers around here are big dudes" and the "mountain lions and bears like this state" needs.

BTW I've had a p226 pointed at me in anger. It was plenty intimidating then.  :D

--- End quote ---

9mm will kill someone just as dead.  9mm,  .45 and .40 will all go right through drywall and into your neighbor's house.  .223 from an AR-15 is less likely to penetrate a wall because of fragmentation.  If you really want a home defense weapon, and you're not proficient with firearms, you should be looking at shotguns.  They don't penetrate walls and they're super cheap.  Handguns in the hands of people with poor firearms skills will kill their neighbors and people in other rooms.  I can't recommend using a handgun as a home defense weapon until you're adequately proficient with one.  Once you're at that level, 9mm and .40 are just as effective as .45.  You should never keep your magazines at home loaded with plinker rounds.  I only put ball ammo in my mags if I'm going to the range.  Once I get home everything is re-loaded with defense hollow-points.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version