Main > The Courtyard

John Clement, not being knightly.... again.

<< < (15/18) > >>

Sir Brian:

A lot of great points being discussed here and I am neither a fan nor a foe of JC yet I do acknowledge and applaud his contributions to illuminating HEMA/WMA to the masses in which his gregarious and impassioned presentation is nigh incomparable. Yet it is very apparent that he has always cultivated and steadfastly maintained his isolationistic aura. He has either produced and/or promoted the good the bad and the ugly in concepts, interpretations and controversial demonstrations, like this one discussed here: http://modernchivalry.org/forum/index.php/topic,208.0.html

So I suppose he will always be an enigma to me unless I he happens to open an ARMA academy near me and allows me to join/train I suppose I will continue to consider him a brilliant crackpot!  :-\

Hrolfr:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2013-07-13, 16:44:40 ---
--- Quote from: Hrolfr on 2013-07-13, 16:31:46 ---

CotT was not a battle, but a contencious tourney.
Agincourt
Lake Pepius
Vienna
Stamford Bridge

They were battles

--- End quote ---

Precisely why I brought up Froissart and his contemporaries after mentioning CoTT, thanks for reinforcing my point.

I did not "call him out"  nor do I consider him "knightly' nor "chivalrous".

I find him to be a pompous ass, who may be able to kick mine, but a pompous ass anyway.

--- End quote ---

That's great, I'm responding to the title of this entire thread and the sentiment it carries.

So, bad 'pub' is the same as good 'pub'?  His attitude may have driven away as many if not more  people interested in this.

--- End quote ---

What bad publicity?  His only bad publicity is inside the circles of HEMA that the public doesn't see anyway.  He doesn't do bad publicity for his television interviews.  The public has no idea about his reputation.  They see him in things like Medieval Fight Book and Reclaiming the Blade, and he's not the monster others make him out to be in those.  His actual mainstream publicity is quite tame and informative.  That's what I was referring to.  You're injecting his reputation in the HEMA world specifically in to what the public sees of him, and the fact of the matter is they don't see that stuff.  The public interacts with John Clements the way Sir James did, by taking an introductory class.  They don't see internet flame wars about how much pomposity he may or may not have.  That's why I said he's done so much for putting HEMA in the minds of the public in a positive way.  People just want to hate him and give him no credit for all the good he's done, and you're showing it.

--- Quote from: Hrolfr on 2013-07-13, 16:31:46 ---I did not "call him out"...".

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Hrolfr ---I would really like to see Clements fight Nissan with BotN rules 
(and yeah, I have fought against and with Nissan in both melee and singles).

--- End quote ---

You didn't?

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Hrolfr on 2013-07-13, 10:51:39 ---
--- Quote from: Ian on 2013-07-10, 22:18:24 --- don't see anyone clamoring for other HEMA/WMA teachers to go fight people.  It's just fun to pile on and hate the 'bad boy' of WMA.  I see a lot of hypocrisy within WMA with regards to how ARMA is treated.  People get mad at Clements for so vociferously defending his own opinions on techniques by doing the same about their own... And Clements isn't going around saying he can beat every other school in a sword fight, so why is the burden of proof to be laid upon his head?  I don't see people yelling and screaming for Christian Tobler to go fight someone to prove what he teaches, or anyone else for that matter.

--- End quote ---

Because Tobler, Mondescheim, Charon etal, are not like Clements.    I know Bob Charon personally and the others by words and deeds.

Clements track record proves  his 'likeability'.

Or to quote someone "You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig"
(and no, I am not calling Clements a pig, I am alliterating to the fact that no matter how well you dress something up, it is still true to it's base,)

--- End quote ---

From above.

Appearantly, you are a Clements fan, so no matter what I say or present will not be 'good enough'.

HMMMMM, kinda like John himself.

Make your own observation from my comment.

Ian:
Ah, so now begin the personal accusations, I'd prefer if you could respond to the points instead, but that's fine. I am a John Clements fan, I'm also equally a Christian Tobler fan, a Greg Mele fan, a Bill Grandy fan et all... I am a fan of anyone who contributes to the world of HEMA and WMA, and the chivalric arts in general, so yeah, you got me!  I would defend any of those men just the same as I would John Clements.

Hrolfr:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2013-07-13, 17:12:37 ---Ah, so now begin the personal accusations, I'd prefer if you could respond to the points instead, but that's fine. I am a John Clements fan, I'm also equally a Christian Tobler fan, a Greg Mele fan, a Bill Grandy fan et all... I am a fan of anyone who contributes to the world of HEMA and WMA, and the chivalric arts in general, so yeah, you got me!  I would defend any of those men just the same as I would John Clements.

--- End quote ---

I try to be a good example to my 10 and 12 y/o children.
John Clements  is not to them.

'Nuff said

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2013-07-13, 17:12:37 ---Ah, so now begin the personal accusations, I'd prefer if you could respond to the points instead, but that's fine. I am a John Clements fan, I'm also equally a Christian Tobler fan, a Greg Mele fan, a Bill Grandy fan et all... I am a fan of anyone who contributes to the world of HEMA and WMA, and the chivalric arts in general, so yeah, you got me!  I would defend any of those men just the same as I would John Clements.

--- End quote ---

I'd like to point out that being a fan of John Clements and anyone (or everyone) else in WMA/HEMA are not mutually exclusive.

Did anyone watch the video I posted?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version