Main > The Courtyard

John Clement, not being knightly.... again.

<< < (13/18) > >>

Sir Wolf:

Sir William:
The fat kid vid was pretty cool, actually.  That other flourish video, was that really Clements?

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2013-07-12, 20:23:30 ---The fat kid vid was pretty cool, actually.  That other flourish video, was that really Clements?

--- End quote ---

Yep, that was JC. I have no idea who edited it together though.

Hrolfr:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2013-07-07, 15:12:46 ---
--- Quote from: Hrolfr on 2013-07-07, 13:18:04 ---If someone needs to tear someone else down in order to feel better about themselves, they are a 't**d in a punchbowl'.

--- End quote ---
vs.

--- Quote from: Hrolfr on 2013-07-07, 13:18:04 ---I would really like to see Clements fight Nissan with BotN rules  ;D
(and yeah, I have fought against and with Nissan in both melee and singles).

--- End quote ---

Isn't that the same thing?

What purpose would John Clements fighting anyone with BotN rules serve?  BotN and Armored Combat League have virtually nothing to do with the historical technique of Liechtenauer or Fiore, or anything from our past for that matter.  It's just a brawl in armor using swords as clubs.  Sure it's a tough sport, and cool to watch, but it has nothing to do with the techniques people like John Clements, Greg Mele, Christian Tobler etc are interested in reviving.  You just want to see someone get beat up, isn't that the same as bringing someone else down to feel better about oneself? 

John Clements can be very abrasive.  That's his personality, but to pretend like he's not a good swordsman is denying a fact staring everyone in the face.  He just seems to be the guy who likes to take his ball and go home if others don't see things his way, but his accomplishments in the world of historical swordsmanship cannot be overlooked.

--- End quote ---

Sir Ian, does anyone alive actually know what medival combat was actually like?  ;)

I would have a tendency to believe that (other than tournies) combat was much more like BotN than Liechtenauer or Fiore.  The latter two  more likely were in closely monitored situations (ie judical combat, tournies and the like) while on the actual warfield, I wonder if it would be an advantage.

As for your response of You just want to see someone get beat up, isn't that the same as bringing someone else down to feel better about oneself?   I was just curious which style would prevail.  I used Nissan as an example because of my experience against him, I coould have easily used several other members whom I know and have fought both SCA singles and melees with and against.

I apologize if you read ill intent into my post.

Hrolfr:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2013-07-10, 22:18:24 --- don't see anyone clamoring for other HEMA/WMA teachers to go fight people.  It's just fun to pile on and hate the 'bad boy' of WMA.  I see a lot of hypocrisy within WMA with regards to how ARMA is treated.  People get mad at Clements for so vociferously defending his own opinions on techniques by doing the same about their own... And Clements isn't going around saying he can beat every other school in a sword fight, so why is the burden of proof to be laid upon his head?  I don't see people yelling and screaming for Christian Tobler to go fight someone to prove what he teaches, or anyone else for that matter.

--- End quote ---

Because Tobler, Mondescheim, Charon etal, are not like Clements.    I know Bob Charon personally and the others by words and deeds.

Clements track record proves  his 'likeability'.

Or to quote someone "You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig"
(and no, I am not calling Clements a pig, I am alliterating to the fact that no matter how well you dress something up, it is still true to it's base,)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version