Main > The Courtyard

John Clement, not being knightly.... again.

<< < (8/18) > >>

Ian:
My dad can beat up your dad.

Lord Dane:
My dog just ate your honor roll student.

Sir Wolf:
"he's the best, ah-ahhhhhhhh"

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2013-07-08, 15:32:52 ---That's the thing, love or hate the guy, he does a lot to gain exposure for the sword-arts at large. He's passionate about it, is very skilled, and it shows. To some degree, we all have him to thank for helping to get historical sword combat into enough of a spotlight that we can actually have a modern resurgence of these arts. He was a pioneer in that regard.
--- End quote ---

I also like that he, though not very often, posts videos of different aspects and includes demonstrations. I haven't seen that from many other "high tier" teachers. For people like me who don't have anyone else nearby, and are too focused on buying armor to spend lots of money on classes, videos are a great learning tool.

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2013-07-08, 15:32:52 ---I just wish he didn't spend half the words in his writings disparaging everyone else. Make your point, and let it stand (or not) on its own. If you have to waste your breath disparaging everything else, there's a problem. It's just not necessary.
--- End quote ---

Agreed, and it's a shame that in all the years of his doing WMA/HEMA, he still continues doing that.

--- Quote from: Thorsteinn on 2013-07-08, 21:05:41 ---Until he's willing to prove what he knows against a resisting opponent who isn't of his tradition, on camera, he will always come off to me like the Kiai Master in the fight vid below IE the "My Awesomeness is too awesome for you! If I used it on you you would explode from my sheer awesomeness which is why I don't fight".
--- End quote ---

I used to think that, but it's still just a competition for points or other measurement of "win" vs "lose". It doesn't show who does or doesn't understand what the Masters of history were trying to teach. It doesn't show who is right or wrong. It doesn't show which style is superior or inferior. How do we know the "winner" is right on how they've learned, and using an inferior style, but still "won"? A superior fighter with an inferior style can still win. What does that mean to the Art?

Unless two people are fighting each other using sharps with full intent to break bones and/or kill one another, it doesn't prove anything. I'd rather we have more WMA/HEMA teachers, than less. :)

Sir Brian:
We had a guest at MASHS yesterday and he was from Southern California where he is part of the KRON Martial Arts - HEMA schools. His name is Myles Cupp and he was very gracious and skilled with the longsword, as well as the rapier. He is in our region to attend the Longpoint Tournament next weekend and found the MASHS website and trained with us for the day. We all welcomed him and really enjoyed training with someone we never fought with before. As I said he was very skilled with the longsword but we also got him to try the French Small sword and the Saber. Which brings me to the point that whenever the HEMA/WMA community loses this passion to resurrect these lost martial arts then that will probably be the day I stop because as fun as it all is the most exciting thing about this type of training is being a part of this great rediscovery!  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version