Main > The Armoury

Sale on terrible ideas? I'll take two!

<< < (4/4)

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2012-06-08, 14:03:46 ---I need to read some more about magnetism. Stainless is still mostly Iron, which is one of the magnetic metals. It's just that stainless is an alloy with higher amounts of chromium. So how that disrupts magnetism is beyond me. Reading is in order.

Edit:  Nice short answer here:  http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae546.cfm

Apparently some stainless steels are still magnetic, so it's not a 100% accurate test.

--- End quote ---

Hmm, very interesting. The "extra" mail I added on that voider is from an order a year or so apart from the other one; I wonder if the alloy did change, or if they just screwed up on the rivets.

Sir William:
I was about to ask why on earth would you soak your hauberk in acid but I re-read your initial post.  Not all short cuts are good ones, that is the lesson I am taking away with me.  Was there a specific look you were after, Sir James?

Sir Wolf:
while talking to some folks this weekend a lot of them told me that strong vinegar does the trick to. i have always known about it but never done it. i have some mail i want to degalvinize so I maybe trying this method this weekend and give a report.

Sir William:
If you de-galvanize steel, doesn't it make it more susceptible to rust?

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2012-06-11, 20:25:20 ---while talking to some folks this weekend a lot of them told me that strong vinegar does the trick to. i have always known about it but never done it. i have some mail i want to degalvinize so I maybe trying this method this weekend and give a report.

--- End quote ---

Awesome, I'll give that a try on a small test patch.

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2012-06-12, 16:40:31 ---If you de-galvanize steel, doesn't it make it more susceptible to rust?

--- End quote ---

Yep. In my case, I don't care since my mail is stainless. ;) I wouldn't advise it for mild steel, unless it stays well oiled (and not with RemOil ;))

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version