Main > The Armoury

Shine of Medieval Paints.

(1/5) > >>

SirNathanQ:
We all know about the common shiny armour question, but what about shiny paints? Could medeival paints take on a gloss or semi-glossy finish, or were they all flat?

Thorsteinn:
Oh yes. Gloss is a medieval term.

Sir Edward:
We're talking about fabric pants, and not armor, right? Considering that linen and wool were the most common fabrics, there wouldn't have been much that was shiny. Making pants out of silk might have allowed for some sheen, but it would be insanely expensive. Like, armor-expensive. Even worse would be "samite", which was basically silk with gold sewn into it. I'm not sure what else would have been available that would have been reflective.

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---Oh yes. Gloss is a medieval term
--- End quote ---

NICE!   :)

--- Quote ---We're talking about fabric pants, and not armor, right? Considering that linen and wool were the most common fabrics, there wouldn't have been much that was shiny. Making pants out of silk might have allowed for some sheen, but it would be insanely expensive. Like, armor-expensive. I'm not sure what else would have been available that would have been reflective.
--- End quote ---

I think Sir Nathan is talking about the polish shine on armor, in which armor being "shiny" or dull (maybe to avoid heat exhaustion) are the likeliest possibilities to me. 

Sir Edward:
lol, I totally misread his post. I saw "pants", not "paints".. OK, just shoot me for not having any caffeine this morning. :)

Still, what an amusing image... Sir Nathan, Knight of the Shiny Pants!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version