Main > The Armoury

Would this tunic be period for the 1200s

<< < (2/3) > >>

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: SirNathanQ on 2012-05-30, 03:34:34 ---It may be off topic, but Sir Wolf, what would the difference between historical black colouration and modern black colouration be?

--- End quote ---

There's a lot of debate around that. My understanding is that it was sort of a dark brown-black rather than a "pure" black in modern terms. Sort of like "natural white" vs modern bright whites.

Period authors tried to separate colors of the commoners and the wealthy, and assigned black to the wealthy side. However it was also used by monastic orders and the like, which implies it could be done cheaply.

One argument is that it wasn't colorfast, and would require frequent re-dying, but would also erode the fabric and wear it out quickly, thus making it expensive. But there were multiple ways of creating most colors, some more expensive than others. And it's likely that a commoner with black-dyed clothing would fade quickly into a sort of brownish grey (I'm assuming).

I thought this was interesting:  http://www.bucks-retinue.org.uk/content/view/139/177/

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---There's a lot of debate around that. My understanding is that it was sort of a dark brown-black rather than a "pure" black in modern terms. Sort of like "natural white" vs modern bright whites.

Period authors tried to separate colors of the commoners and the wealthy, and assigned black to the wealthy side. However it was also used by monastic orders and the like, which implies it could be done cheaply.

One argument is that it wasn't colorfast, and would require frequent re-dying, but would also erode the fabric and wear it out quickly, thus making it expensive. But there were multiple ways of creating most colors, some more expensive than others. And it's likely that a commoner with black-dyed clothing would fade quickly into a sort of brownish grey (I'm assuming).

I thought this was interesting:  http://www.bucks-retinue.org.uk/content/view/139/177/

--- End quote ---

That is interesting indeed.  One must take into consideration that dyes were a trading product that was sold for colors dyes on clothing for the nobility since they can afford it. 

--- Quote ---Thing is I am trying to be as period as possible WITH using my own colors (black with red trim). I don't like bright flashy colors as I am a goth and tend to dress in mostly black and occasionally grey. Plus it looks better on me. People told me I look good in green but I personally don't like it cause it makes me look like a hippie and I dont look "dark" in it. I already have an undershirt but it's white and I think I look terrible in white. The heat I can deal with though I go out in a trenchcoat even in the summer to protect myself from the sun rather than slap on sunscreen which is absolutely disgusting and sticky. I WAS hot at the faire in my blackened maille and gambeson but the heat didnt bug me nearly as much as the weight did. Besides if I wear a templar or teutonic surcoat over it all I would be pretty much fine.
If you really wanted to get technical I would of LOVED a black tunic with a red trim around the ends and whatnot that would look awesome, but I dont know any place that sells tunics like that or if they even existed at that time.
--- End quote ---

A heat survivor?  Impressive, I admit I am also a heat survivor since I have been in areas where humidity lasts throughout the day even though when I was young, I didn't do well at all.  But another thing to avoid is wool in the summer. 

Sir William:
What Rautt said...go to linengarb.  Granted, most of their stuff is pre-1200 by at least a century, but their garments are of good material and built to last.  You say you don't like bright colors yet red is the most eye-catching color in the spectrum.  ;)

Ian:

--- Quote from: Joshua Santana on 2012-05-30, 15:42:49 ---But another thing to avoid is wool in the summer.

--- End quote ---

My wool chausses were the most comfortable part of my base layer at the Tampa Ren Faire this year.  Wool breathes quite well and wicks moisture.  That's why good quality socks are made from wool and not cotton.  I would amend the comment to say avoid 'heavy' wool in the summer.  But most outer-garments were wool in period, linen is primarily for undergarments.

Sir Wolf:
http://www.linengarb.com/all/linen-tunic.html this with no trim would do you well. rounded neck.

trim around cuff, neck and hems are all to early for you in the 1200s. that is reproduction wise.

ya i have seen black made from iron and vinegar i think and have seen black for clothing in 15thc illustrations, but have constantly read the texts about even black sheep do not give what we today think of as black. its much grayer/dark brown. but as Sir Edward said, the hospitatlers wore black, but how black is black;) ehhehe. paintings of knights are always in the best of colors but can you give me a black surcoated one? or a tunic in black?

oh I agree Sir Ian, I wear wool all the time, I just remember Sir Ulrich saying as the day went on his mail was getting heavier. I was wondering if the heat had some reaction in there as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version