Main > The Armoury

VARF 2012 Projects

(1/2) > >>

Sir James A:
A couple small projects I just finished for VARF:

Hinging & strapping sabatons by Mad Matt - with OG vintage Christian Fletcher straps & buckles (from 97? 98?)

(Yes, they're modern cheap hinges from Home Depot. It's all I had available, but I put them on with the same mounting holes from the leather hinge they came with. I'll swap them out later if I get some better ones)

I noticed while test fitting the armor that the straps on the gorget like to move around and tuck themselves away, making it frustrating to fish them out while wearing the cuirass already. So, I added a second rivet to all 4 straps on the gorget for attaching the arms and pauldrons:

I removed the faulds & tassets from the two separate piece plackart and breastplate, and attached them directly to the breastplate. I also brought the tassets in a bit at the sides, but need to bring the flaring in just a bit more. No more plackart!

Last, a few pictures of the sabatons on the boots, pointed and with the spurs too.

I'll knock off a few nubs from the sole so the straps sit flush, later this week. The point holes for the laces should have been a little bit more forward, since when they're attached it messes just a bit with the articulation. The length of the sabatons vs length of the boots forced me to put them as close back to the articulation as I could, and they're still a bit too far forward. For the price, they're definitely workable though.

Joshua Santana:
Excellent work Sir James!

Sir Wolf:
huzzah

Sir Edward:
Excellent! Man, I turn my back for a minute, and half the people on the forum make tons of progress. :)

SirNathanQ:
Good work Sir James. Good to see a REAL craftsman at work.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version