Main > The Armoury

Albion price hike

<< < (8/14) > >>

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2012-05-17, 21:12:34 ---Would you look at that.  Can anyone tell me if full-on customs are overrated?  I'm reaching here...someone toss me a lifeline!  lol

--- End quote ---

Something else to consider is the nature of a custom sword. If you're picking your own blade geometry, blade length, fittings, grip, etc - it's a prototype. It's a custom prototype, but if you aren't copying an original, it's an untested design. You may really enjoy the look, but what if it's too blade heavy? What if it's too hilt-heavy? What if it doesn't cut like you expect?

There's a lot to be said for getting something "off the shelf" in that (generally) multiple other people have purchased and used the same item, there's minimal variance, and you know what to expect from it's performance. And in some cases, somebody local-ish will have one you can hold / test. Armor and swords are a world of difference; off the shelf armor in a "one size fits all" is a terrible thing unless you're that magical size. Swords, on the other hand, are better bought while knowing the performance of them.

Of course, it's all moot if you're just going to hang it on the wall. But why spend $2,500 or more on something to just hang on the wall and never use? ;)

--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2012-05-18, 17:57:55 ---Ironic that you expanded upon the subject on the cost of an excellent scabbard for I have been considering upon a viable alternative:  ;)

I’m not sure if anyone has posted a link to this site yet but it is very informative at what is involved with making a great scabbard, http://yeoldegaffers.com/project_scabbard.asp which inspired my contemplations to make my own core and then turn it over to an extremely talented local leather craftsman and reduce the overall costs and hopefully bypass the extremely long waiting lists for the top quality/pricy scabbard makers. So do you think my scheming will work?  ???

--- End quote ---

Sir Brian, I do like that scheme. I had it in mind a few months ago (and to try my hand at sewing leather...). Now that I've finished making my new wooden bed frame, when VARF is done I'm going to be using the new router table and belt sander to give the wood core scabbard a go. Perhaps a project for you to work on when I have another 'open workshop' day in a month or two.

Sir William:
I've been pursuing other options for scabbards...in fact, I just got my H/T bastard back yesterday, w/the new scabbard and belts by a buddy on SBG, Odingaard.  The scabbard itself has nice, clean lines but he doesn't sew the backside so it won't pass muster for period snobs- but for ~$200 you can't really complain.  It is a nicely done wood-cored leather covered scabbard done up in black and blue to mimic my arms.  For ~$400 I know VA used to make them for whoever wanted, but I haven't been able to raise Sonny via email and his forums are down, or were last I checked.  Tritonworks is a bust...I have one of his that came with that 13th C greatsword I just got and it is, in a word, trash.  Or it was made for a much larger sword and my sword just got crammed into it, I dunno.  Not to mention I don't think he's even doing it anymore...  So that leaves DBK...or do it yourself.

Personally, I like Ron's how-to, I just don't have tools or talent enough to pull that off.  Besides, I really like DBK's work and I think he can do it w/out having the sword there (if he has one of his own, you're golden- as in the case of Deus Irae, he had one already (ARN) so it was all good).  He is quite pricey though...there's that to consider.

In any case, I emailed Mike at Albion so I'm just waiting to hear back from him.  I imagine his email box is probably pretty slammed.

Sir Edward:

Don't forget CF as an option for scabbards. Now that he does "swordless" scabbards, he has some cost effective options.

I've found Albion usually takes a day or two to reply to emails.

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2012-05-19, 00:14:41 ---
Don't forget CF as an option for scabbards. Now that he does "swordless" scabbards, he has some cost effective options.

--- End quote ---

CF's swordless scabbards are a great deal!  I'm really enjoying mine, and you can make them as expensive/fancy or inexpensive/plain as you want.

Albion's pretty good at answering the phone if you're not getting an email response  :) 

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2012-05-19, 00:25:35 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2012-05-19, 00:14:41 ---

--- End quote ---

CF's swordless scabbards are a great deal!  I'm really enjoying mine, and you can make them as expensive/fancy or inexpensive/plain as you want.

Albion's pretty good at answering the phone if you're not getting an email response  :)

--- End quote ---
Yeah I ran through CF's custom scabbard selections and a scabbard I would settle for would run about $570.00 and that was with a belt he offered I liked the best but definitely not what I would prefer. What I have in mind would be to have the griffin I have on my belt and my Hungarian axe sheath on the scabbard and I know of only one craftsman that was able to do it at a reasonable price. I also would prefer to have the double belt option that DBK offers and I think you have on one of yours Sir Edward.  :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version