Main > The Armoury

Albion price hike

<< < (7/14) > >>

Sir William:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2012-05-17, 21:30:08 ---
--- Quote from: Sir William on 2012-05-17, 21:12:34 ---Would you look at that.  Can anyone tell me if full-on customs are overrated?  I'm reaching here...someone toss me a lifeline!  lol

--- End quote ---

I own a Crecy and enjoy it a lot.  Haven't cut with it yet though.  That being said, the real draw on a custom sword is the knowledge that it's a custom sword.... It's desirable because of the work that went in to it, and the fact that it's a unique creation by the smith.  Performance-wise though, a custom sword will be entirely indistinguishable from a properly done CNC milling machine made-sword, i.e. the Albion.  So it depends on priorities.  If it's purely aesthetics and performance, go for the Albion or A&A, if it's the intangibles that you're after, or the desire to own a unique piece of functional artwork, commission the custom sword, but expect to fork over triple the cost of an Albion :)   (Or if you absolutely must have a pattern welded sword, then custom it is!  ;) )

--- End quote ---

I think you've sold me on it, Sir Ian.  While I have always dreamt of owning an Odinblade...I expect it'll perform much the same as an Albion, A&A (I'm lucky in that my acquaintance online w/Marc Ridgeway has afforded me the ability to see some of John's works in very detailed hi-res photos along with cutting videos and the like.)  It is funny...I have never felt a pull for anything Viking-esque...while I can appreciate the beauty of a pattern-welded blade, I have never wanted one.  With that said...

Albion offers a payment plan for those of us who aren't so fiscally endowed.  I'm gonna do it.  I'm gonna do it!

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---I think you've sold me on it, Sir Ian.  While I have always dreamt of owning an Odinblade...I expect it'll perform much the same as an Albion, A&A (I'm lucky in that my acquaintance online w/Marc Ridgeway has afforded me the ability to see some of John's works in very detailed hi-res photos along with cutting videos and the like.)  It is funny...I have never felt a pull for anything Viking-esque...while I can appreciate the beauty of a pattern-welded blade, I have never wanted one.  With that said...

Albion offers a payment plan for those of us who aren't so fiscally endowed.  I'm gonna do it.  I'm gonna do it!
--- End quote ---

That is great!  :D

Sir Brian:

--- Quote ---I think you've sold me on it, Sir Ian.  While I have always dreamt of owning an Odinblade...I expect it'll perform much the same as an Albion, A&A (I'm lucky in that my acquaintance online w/Marc Ridgeway has afforded me the ability to see some of John's works in very detailed hi-res photos along with cutting videos and the like.)  It is funny...I have never felt a pull for anything Viking-esque...while I can appreciate the beauty of a pattern-welded blade, I have never wanted one.  With that said...

--- End quote ---

As will I after this Sunday when I have an opportunity to "sample" the wares as it were. Then of course there is the problem of a scabbard for the blade... ;)

Sir Edward:

Ah yes, the scabbard is a whole additional can of worms. Sure, you could get something really cheap that will be sufficient to carry the sword. But when you're wearing the sword, people will see the scabbard and not the blade, so I tend to want the scabbard to be as much of a work of art as the hilt is, if not more-so. Once you've made that decision, you may have to prepare yourself to spend more on the scabbard than the sword. I'm sure there's a happy middle-ground there somewhere, I just haven't really investigated it much. :)

Sir Edward:

Actually i think that's a great plan. :)

I'm tempted to try my hand at making a scabbard for the "Albion" (with the mindset that in the context of the TV show, it was a bunch of rebellious outlaws living in the woods, therefore not all of their gear would be top-quality). I think it needs a more simple/rustic thrown-together sort of look for the scabbard, despite being a very pretty sword.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version