Main > The Armoury

Pointing for maille?

<< < (2/7) > >>

SirNathanQ:
Learn to move with your armour. Don't fight it. firstoff, adjust your stance. A sloping back will kill you in maille. As Sir Wolf also pointed out, building muscle mass will help. My maille has no real body tailoring, but posture and my build (and I don't regularly lift wieghts either) makes it so the heat gets to me before the muscle fatigue.

Frater de Beaumanoir:
Repeated wearing and conditioning will be your answer. Even today's warriors wearing IBA have issues with heat. They do exercises in most cases 5 out of 7 days a week. If you're not drinking the appropriate fluids before, during and after, you're body will be the first to let you know.

Try mowing the yard in mail (yes...I do), it helps keep me in the zone, that and having to teach young warriors on a daily basis.

SirNathanQ:
I have to wonder, does the Grandmaster pretend tht the grass is in fact an army of little green Saracens?  ;)

Sir Ulrich:
Well considering body tailoring+sleeve tailoring is what my hauberk needs, I think I could EASILY do the body tailoring as all I really need to do is widen the bottom so I can put it on easier. Just need a source of a sheet of maille to cut and widen it with. Could always make my own but thats time consuming, unless anyone has some spare maille sheets I could buy off of them to widen the bottom of the hauberk. May just make my own though, got plenty of rings to do that with as I was gifted the large bag of rings.

Would something like this work better for keeping the maille from digging into my shoulders:
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=AB3947&name=Padded+Gorget+%2D+White
I'd get it in black of course but I think this would work better than using non period foam or something.

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2012-05-20, 20:42:50 ---Well considering body tailoring+sleeve tailoring is what my hauberk needs, I think I could EASILY do the body tailoring as all I really need to do is widen the bottom so I can put it on easier. Just need a source of a sheet of maille to cut and widen it with. Could always make my own but thats time consuming, unless anyone has some spare maille sheets I could buy off of them to widen the bottom of the hauberk. May just make my own though, got plenty of rings to do that with as I was gifted the large bag of rings.

Would something like this work better for keeping the maille from digging into my shoulders:
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=AB3947&name=Padded+Gorget+%2D+White
I'd get it in black of course but I think this would work better than using non period foam or something.

--- End quote ---

To acquire a big sheet of maille without buying a whole separate hauberk just to rip spare maille from, you could consider purchasing a maille skirt and cannibalize maille off of that.  It's not as cheap as making it yourself, but it's a compromise between that and buying a much larger garment to cannibalize.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version