Main > The Armoury

Pointing for maille?

<< < (6/7) > >>

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2012-05-30, 18:16:22 ---Not to pick, but there's a marked difference between riding horseback and riding in a car...last time I rode I was sweating rather profusely- a combination of a fairly warm day (80s temp) and the fact that it is a bit of a workout, especially in the core (unless you ride like a sack of potatoes lol) and the inner thighs.

--- End quote ---

When you ride infrequently, yes this is an issue.  If you ride with regularity though, the muscles become quite accustomed and it's really not much a strain at all.  But yes, until they make air conditioned horses, you will sweat :)

Thorsteinn:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2012-05-30, 19:18:48 ---...  But yes, until they make air conditioned horses, you will sweat :)

--- End quote ---

Gallop.

;D

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---Not to pick, but there's a marked difference between riding horseback and riding in a car...last time I rode I was sweating rather profusely- a combination of a fairly warm day (80s temp) and the fact that it is a bit of a workout, especially in the core (unless you ride like a sack of potatoes lol) and the inner thighs.

That's why they had to tie down anything that couldn't keep up on the horse- sacks of grain and prisoners included.
--- End quote ---

Very true.

--- Quote ---When you ride infrequently, yes this is an issue.  If you ride with regularity though, the muscles become quite accustomed and it's really not much a strain at all.  But yes, until they make air conditioned horses, you will sweat
--- End quote ---

Indeed, I remember my earlier years when I visited my grandparents in Puerto Rico, my grandfather loved horses, he had a friend that owned three, I had the fortunate chance of riding one (only the horse was guided by the owner) and I even had a trip to Colorado Springs, to the Garden of the Gods, horse rode for a good time.  It took me a bit of a while to get used to it and to teach the horse not to stray away from the path, but I got the hang of it.  So that is my experience with horse riding. 

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2012-05-30, 18:16:22 ---
--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2012-05-25, 18:28:59 ---They did have chairs and they did sit back in the middle ages. Knights would ride places on horseback rather than in a car, but still, seated.
--- End quote ---

Not to pick, but there's a marked difference between riding horseback and riding in a car...last time I rode I was sweating rather profusely- a combination of a fairly warm day (80s temp) and the fact that it is a bit of a workout, especially in the core (unless you ride like a sack of potatoes lol) and the inner thighs.

That's why they had to tie down anything that couldn't keep up on the horse- sacks of grain and prisoners included.  ;)

--- End quote ---

Oh, absolutely, I agree with you. I was going towards most of the surviving cased greaves we have, being for people with very slim calves. We're not sure if that was because those muscles were under-developed from riding so much (not walking), or if they were somehow strong but slim. The cardio exercise you'd get from walking would be more than riding. Not to say they had it easy; just that it was easier riding than walking and that their muscles wouldn't be as developed as they would be if they walked everywhere. Like we joked at VARF - it's not so hard to be in full harness when the horse is moving the weight around. :)

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---Oh, absolutely, I agree with you. I was going towards most of the surviving cased greaves we have, being for people with very slim calves. We're not sure if that was because those muscles were under-developed from riding so much (not walking), or if they were somehow strong but slim. The cardio exercise you'd get from walking would be more than riding. Not to say they had it easy; just that it was easier riding than walking and that their muscles wouldn't be as developed as they would be if they walked everywhere. Like we joked at VARF - it's not so hard to be in full harness when the horse is moving the weight around.
--- End quote ---

That is why the right greaves make a huge difference.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version