Main > The Armoury

Gambesons from MATULS

<< < (10/11) > >>

Sir William:

--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2012-05-18, 03:54:35 ---Only problem is my coif and hauberk dont match so it would look a bit odd. but I still am wearing it under the hauberk as I have no surcoat that fits me at the moment. Need to resize the templar one I currently have but I have been unable to find a tailor for it. Going to that faire this weekend so it's a bit too late to resize it right now, but the weather is supposed to be good for the medieval faire so it doesnt matter really. Prolly gonna wear my hauberk with my new shield a coif and kettle helm. Hopefully the coif will fit under the kettle helm. I'll take some pics when I go it down tomorrow.

--- End quote ---

If you don't mind the looks, you can actually get your surcoat tailored at most dry cleaners that have a seamstress on the premises.  You'll just need to wear your arming clothes and mail so they can take the required measurements over all of that.  As for the coif and hauberk not matching- that would not have been unusual I don't think, at least, not for poorer knights.  If you were landed gentry then you'd be expected to have a tailor-made hauberk w/coif and chausses. 

You're off to a good start, I wouldn't let something small like that to deter you from going forward.  You can always replace that coif at a later date for one that is more in line w/your hauberk but it isn't a show stopper, if you know what I mean.

Also, you could always go in just the hauberk and coif and your arming wear underneath w/out the surcoat- then your portrayal would be that of a 11th or 12th Century man-at-arms, the shield will just add to it.

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---If you don't mind the looks, you can actually get your surcoat tailored at most dry cleaners that have a seamstress on the premises.  You'll just need to wear your arming clothes and mail so they can take the required measurements over all of that.  As for the coif and hauberk not matching- that would not have been unusual I don't think, at least, not for poorer knights.  If you were landed gentry then you'd be expected to have a tailor-made hauberk w/coif and chausses.

You're off to a good start, I wouldn't let something small like that to deter you from going forward.  You can always replace that coif at a later date for one that is more in line w/your hauberk but it isn't a show stopper, if you know what I mean.

Also, you could always go in just the hauberk and coif and your arming wear underneath w/out the surcoat- then your portrayal would be that of a 11th or 12th Century man-at-arms, the shield will just add to it.

--- End quote ---

Yep.  ;)

Sir Ulrich:
Guess I'll go as a 12th century poorer man at arms or knight then who looted his hauberk and coif from the dead. Still gonna go with my new shield because it's way too nice to not bring and I cant stand the feel of the older one. Could easily do that actually cause my weapons and helm are quite outdated for the 13th century. I will have pics of my outfit up soon as I want to wear it first to see if it's comfortable enough for the faire.

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---Guess I'll go as a 12th century poorer man at arms or knight then who looted his hauberk and coif from the dead. Still gonna go with my new shield because it's way too nice to not bring and I cant stand the feel of the older one. Could easily do that actually cause my weapons and helm are quite outdated for the 13th century. I will have pics of my outfit up soon as I want to wear it first to see if it's comfortable enough for the faire.
--- End quote ---

Good luck Sir Ulrich.

Sir Ulrich:
Still was unable to get it on myself, I cant get my arms in the sleeves that easily and it doesnt stretch that easily due to that. Maybe it's a size too small for me, if thats the case I been considering selling it and exchanging it for a larger size. But then it would weigh more ugh and I dont need extra weight. My chest size is like 34 and the chest size for this maille is 40 so I think I am pretty much fine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version