Main > The Courtyard

The state of the Art blog post

<< < (2/3) > >>

SirNathanQ:
For me it's being closer to what a real knight would be. I also enjoy the martial arts aspect of it, learning to be better at knightly combat. Takes period immersion to a new level IMO.

Sir Brian:
Call me crazy but for me I simply like to fight and hit folks with a blade.  ;)

Studies of historical texts are all well and good for establishing a solid foundation in which to develop your own distinctive and preferred fighting style but I can only garner a fraction of their meaning with just academics. The real lessons for me come with experiencing all the nuances of the various techniques.

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2012-05-09, 14:43:23 ---Call me crazy but for me I simply like to fight and hit folks with a blade.  ;)

Studies of historical texts are all well and good for establishing a solid foundation in which to develop your own distinctive and preferred fighting style but I can only garner a fraction of their meaning with just academics. The real lessons for me come with experiencing all the nuances of the various techniques.

--- End quote ---

My thoughts precisely. I have fun with it, but I'm neither looking to be an academic, nor be the best. My desire is to have functional capability to fence with others, and to understand in a more intuitive way how these weapons were used back in the day. It gives me a better sense of what makes a good sword a good sword, and why. For this reason I'm a member of the WMA/HEMA community, but on the edges of that community.

Something you'll notice when I'm fighting is that I don't always care if I "die", as long as I look good doing it. It's part of that personal style. I want to look clean and fluid, even if I pick the wrong technique. :)

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2012-05-09, 16:05:07 ---Something you'll notice when I'm fighting is that I don't always care if I "die", as long as I look good doing it. It's part of that personal style. I want to look clean and fluid, even if I pick the wrong technique. :)
--- End quote ---

Actually I have noticed that about fighting you and I am most appreciative otherwise I'd NEVER get a 'kill' on you!  ;)

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---For me it's being closer to what a real knight would be. I also enjoy the martial arts aspect of it, learning to be better at knightly combat. Takes period immersion to a new level IMO.
--- End quote ---

I agree with you Sir Nathan.  ;)

--- Quote ---    Call me crazy but for me I simply like to fight and hit folks with a blade.  ;)

My thoughts precisely. I have fun with it, but I'm neither looking to be an academic, nor be the best. My desire is to have functional capability to fence with others, and to understand in a more intuitive way how these weapons were used back in the day. It gives me a better sense of what makes a good sword a good sword, and why. For this reason I'm a member of the WMA/HEMA community, but on the edges of that community.

Something you'll notice when I'm fighting is that I don't always care if I "die", as long as I look good doing it. It's part of that personal style. I want to look clean and fluid, even if I pick the wrong technique. :)
--- End quote ---

That is good Sirs Brian and Edward!  :D  You both have good goals that are worth striving for, I have my own and I never impose my preferences on others.  The beauty of the Art is that anyone can make it their own, the individual can take it to their preferred level or they can take it to incredible heights.   

--- Quote ---Actually I have noticed that about fighting you and I am most appreciative otherwise I'd NEVER get a 'kill' on you!  ;)
--- End quote ---

:D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version