Main > The Courtyard

No Mind. Do you use it? How?

(1/5) > >>

Thorsteinn:
Asperger's is a bitch to deal with. Especially in the Martial Arts. To combat this I use No Mind.

Whenever I fight, and can use the Mind of No Mind, I am awesome and cool and feel godly though I rarely remember the fight.

If not then I may win, and remember the fight, but I feel like a shlub.

I have no one way to get the the place that is no place. How do you travel to the place that is not?

Examples of No Mind:

Sir Edward:
I know what you mean. I'm very analytical of my opponent prior to the first strike, but then once I'm "in the moment", I just flow with it and have a hard time remembering exactly what happened. It might not quite be the "no mind" thing, but it's more muscle memory and reflex than thinking. I actually have to work at bringing the thought back into it so that I can choose techniques that are tactically appropriate rather than just being reactive. It's a difficult balance that I seek.

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---Asperger's is a bitch to deal with. Especially in the Martial Arts.
--- End quote ---

Can say the same with my Autism.  To combat this, I unleash my analytical prowess and can determine strategies and counter defenses without having to use the "No Mind".  Think of what Sherlock Holmes did in the bar fight scene.

Sherlock Holmes Fight Scene

--- Quote ---I'm very analytical of my opponent prior to the first strike, but then once I'm "in the moment", I just flow with it and have a hard time remembering exactly what happened. It might not quite be the "no mind" thing, but it's more muscle memory and reflex than thinking. I actually have to work at bringing the thought back into it so that I can choose techniques that are tactically appropriate rather than just being reactive. It's a difficult balance that I seek.]I'm very analytical of my opponent prior to the first strike, but then once I'm "in the moment", I just flow with it and have a hard time remembering exactly what happened. It might not quite be the "no mind" thing, but it's more muscle memory and reflex than thinking. I actually have to work at bringing the thought back into it so that I can choose techniques that are tactically appropriate rather than just being reactive. It's a difficult balance that I seek.
--- End quote ---

That is an issue most fighters deal with.  It is about muscle memory and it is difficult to develop it but once you get there it becomes a game of instinct.  How I see choosing tactically appropriate techniques, i would analyze the opponents attack in half a second and use Fuhlen and Indes (Feeling and Instance or In time according to Liechtenauer) and respond accordingly; or what I would call "Call and Response".   

Sir Edward:

I've been doing the Liechtenauer thing for over 5 years, and I still struggle with Fuhlen. And I know it's not just me, as most of the folks I fence with tend to have a habit of taking off and changing angle of attacks almost immediately, without doing bind-work.

We did a cool thing in class this week (an idea that I think came from Jake Norwood initially). We bouted at speed with steel swords, but with a small loop made with zip-ties placed over the swords so that the blades have to stay in contact. The zip-tie is loose enough to slide up and down the blade, but if it gets flung off or broken, whoever is at fault has to do push-ups. So it's an entire fight done in the bind. It's nuts. But man, what a great way to practice it.

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---I've been doing the Liechtenauer thing for over 5 years, and I still struggle with Fuhlen. And I know it's not just me, as most of the folks I fence with tend to have a habit of taking off and changing angle of attacks almost immediately, without doing bind-work.

We did a cool thing in class this week (an idea that I think came from Jake Norwood initially). We bouted at speed with steel swords, but with a small loop made with zip-ties placed over the swords so that the blades have to stay in contact. The zip-tie is loose enough to slide up and down the blade, but if it gets flung off or broken, whoever is at fault has to do push-ups. So it's an entire fight done in the bind. It's nuts. But man, what a great way to practice it.
--- End quote ---

To me, Fuhlen is more like what I would call "Bind Sensitivity" and one can say that Indes is more reaction/decision making in a split second. 

That is an interesting exercise, I think I know where Norwood would have came up with it I just have to find the image.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version