Main > The Armoury

Clothing

<< < (8/13) > >>

Ian:
I had a problem with the chauses as well.  I ordered the ones that said size 10 foot (my size in everything) and it's quite a feat to get my feet in there :) .  I tried going up one size, but the chausses are a little baggy then.

I then ordered a pair from HE in wool and never looked back.

I believe the braies come with such a long draw string because it's just intended to be cut to size since they fit a huge variety of waists. The braies should have a little cut out area along the waistband that exposes the internal drawstring for pointing you chausses.

Sir Wolf:
gasp a white belt!! ahhahaha

i question the slit in the tunic and the hood. i really don't think they are there in period pieces.  looks great man!! your right thought, the cuffs seem short. esp if u wash it and it shrinks?

Sir Edward:
I'm like right between sizes. I think I'd be swimming in the larger ones, but barely make it in these.

Nope, these braies don't have a little window for pointing.

BTW, Revival is have another 20% one-day sale tomorrow, May 3.

Ian:
When it comes to normal clothing items I've always had better luck with HE (arming clothes though, I love Revival). I highly recommend wool for chausses.  They're not really hot, and they stretch a little to give that form fitted look.  The linen doesn't really give at all, and doesn't look as authentic. Outer garments should be wool to the max extent practical as far as I understand.

Not sure why your braies don't have the pointing window... you could always cut it yourself.  I think it would be preferable to having a double wrap of drawstring.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2012-05-03, 00:24:24 ---gasp a white belt!! ahhahaha

i question the slit in the tunic and the hood. i really don't think they are there in period pieces.  looks great man!! your right thought, the cuffs seem short. esp if u wash it and it shrinks?

--- End quote ---

The tunic is supposed to be from the "The Hunting Book of Gaston Phebus", who live in the mid-14th century. You can see a split from the guy on horseback here:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_E_o_0Bdm4GA/TUVtozPE2wI/AAAAAAABHrM/lcp03FoLdlw/s1600/Gaston%2BPh%25C3%25A9bus%252C%2BLivre%2Bde%2Bla%2Bchasse%252C%2Bc.%2B1410-.jpg

These guys too: http://www.frenchtoutou.com/images/celebrite/meutechassea.jpg

Most of them don't have the split in the manuscript, though.

Sir Edward, let me go check my chausses and braies. It's been a more than hectic week, and I haven't even opened them yet.

EDIT[/i] - The tunic fits me well, and the joined hosen I got fit well, too. The chausses, large, are actually a little loose. No problems getting my foot through, but I don't like the "footie pajamas" feeling, and I'll have shoes on over them anyway, so I will probably be chopping them off slightly below the ankle, and leaving enough fabric to roll up and put a lace through them to tie them at the ankle. Probably not period, but it won't be visible, and I'll be more comfortable - win win. The only thing that didn't fit was the linen shirt I got - it fits, but when I bend my arms, I feel like I'm about to hulk right through it - it cuts off my circulation.

For the braies - mine have the two extra openings on the front area, offset. If you look roughly at the top middle of your thigh (put on the chausses and pull them up - look above the points), you should see two small sewn-hole openings - pull the draw string through there. Then you can make two decent sized loops, one on each side. Point your chausses (fabric only! ;)) to there. Then you can pull the draw string tight. There will still be some extra string, which is fine, just tuck it into the waist band. You can leave the loops at the side pretty long. I used a small pick to pull it through the opening.

Hope that helps. I'll get some pics tomorrow, if you need them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version