Main > The Courtyard

Messer fencing: Bill Grandy, Jake Norwood, Roland Warzecha

(1/2) > >>

Das Bill:
At WMAW 2011, Roland Warzecha, Jake Norwood and I did a little bit of fencing with the messer, and Tim Hall recorded some of it (some of it wasn't recorded, and some of the recording was corrupted, unfortunately). The footage sat around for month, but Tim remembered he had it and gave me a copy. I decided to put it up on YouTube with some slow-motion replays and commentary (mostly for my own analysis and betterment, but also to help clarify actions to people who weren't there).

Jake and Roland are fantastic fencers. I'd bouted a little bit with Jake before, so I already knew he was quite the swordsman, but this was the first time Roland and I had crossed blades. He and I started out initially with some "slow motion" fencing with sword and buckler for the sake of technique training (and if you haven't seen Roland fence sword and buckler, it's poetry in motion at any speed). When Jake came along, we switched to messer, and that's what you see in these vids.

I'm quite happy with these bouts because Jake and Roland possess a high technical proficiency where one has to really understand fühlen, distance and timing in order to fence against them. Rushing in and hoping to get the first hit doesn't work with these guys. There are some really great examples duplieren, mutieren, and general winding goodness.

Jake and I (and the video evidence that Jake pulled off plate 60 from Codex Wallerstein):

Roland and I (this is missing the most footage of them all):

Roland and Jake:

Thorsteinn:
Nice slow work!

The slowing down of the video wasn't as necessary here due to the measured fighting pace as normal.

The wobbling sound in slow-mo is the background noise yes?

Sir Edward:
I just started watching it, and it looks great so far!

--- Quote from: RauttSkegg on 2012-04-02, 19:52:03 ---The wobbling sound in slow-mo is the background noise yes?

--- End quote ---

Yes, it's slowing down the sound, while maintaining the proper pitch. To do that, it's looping small chopped up bits of the sound, so it sounds very echoed.

Das Bill:
Whoops, I just realized that I put this in the wrong section of the forums. I meant to put this in "The Courtyard", not "The Campaign!"

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Das Bill on 2012-04-03, 19:03:32 ---Whoops, I just realized that I put this in the wrong section of the forums. I meant to put this in "The Courtyard", not "The Campaign!"

--- End quote ---

I'll move it. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version