"He is victorious who knows when and when not to fight."
                -- Sun Tzu

Author Topic: The Wallace Collection - European Arms and Armour Complete Digital Catalogue  (Read 14423 times)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
7000 images that didn't make it into the book?  Wow.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
I don't think we could legally make it accessible in a public fashion. The fileserver I was referring to is just my personal storage (I don't keep data on my desktop machine, but rather on the fileserver where it has automatic backups. It's the "poor man's RAID", in that it duplicates the hard disk nightly).

Same thing I do, and my fileserver isn't externally accessible, either. I'm happy to let people browse when they're here, though. :)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org

It arrived today! This thing is really cool, but here are my criticisms so far:

1. The thumb drive can't be copied. I understand why they did this, but I really wanted to make a backup on my fileserver, mostly so I don't need to keep the thing plugged in.

2. It only runs in 1024x768. On my gigantic monitor, it's a small little box in the center of a black screen that the whole program runs in.

3. The interface is a little confusing at times. It's not easy to go back to the overviews after zooming in on a single item. I figured out how to do it, but it takes a few clicks, rather than just having a back button.

4. It doesn't use your mouse's scroll wheel or back buttons. All scrolling and zooming is done by dragging sliders on screen.

Otherwise it's really cool, and the photography is awesome.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Just picked mine up today. It came wed and I missed delivery, but with only one car between my wife and I, and limited post office hours, I just picked it up. True to their word, David Edge and Toby Capwell signed the book too! Very, very happy with the book so far. Haven't checked the thumb drive, but hope to do so later tonight. I have a feeling I can figure out a way to copy the thumb drive. I was hoping to be able to put it on my local server so I could pull it up wherever around the house, too, without having to take the physical drive. I'm worried it would get damaged accidentally in the garage.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent