Main > The Armoury

Gambesons from steel mastery

(1/3) > >>

Sir Ulrich:
http://steel-mastery.com/en/padded-armour/gambesons/ordinary-gambeson
I think I may of found the solution to my "limited" choice of gambesons by simply clicking an ad that appeared on my facebook. I also checked the shipping it's only 18 bucks surprisingly and it arrives in 10-20 days and it costs about the same as my current gambeson yet is linen. I woulda went with the others but they all seem to be 14th-15th century gambesons which I want a 13th century one. Just unsure of how many layers of batting to order it with, I want to use it for fighting so I dont have to buy 2. Also dont know if I should make the inner shell linen as well, I got a linen shirt and believe me it's a lot rougher to wear than cotton, cotton might be a bit more comfortable.

Sir Brian:
Truly if you intend to use it for fighting you would be better off spending the extra money for a revival clothing linen gambeson or at least their lesser priced all cotton. The batting is just right for protection, gives you full underarm coverage and fits perfectly.
http://www.revivalclothing.com/cottongambeson-2.aspx

Ian:
I wouldn't be too concerned about the inner shell being linen since you should probably have a shirt on underneath the gambeson anyway. I wear a light linen shirt under mine and it's comfortable on the skin.  Some folks will just wear a plain cotton t-shirt or under armour for max comfort since no one can see you base layer anyway.

I agree with Brian though, high quality is key to a fighting gambeson.  You don't want to skimp on arming clothes.  They make or break comfort in a harness.

Sir Ulrich:
Yeah, I remember you bought an in stock one from there Sir Brian and said it was good but a bit too thick to wear under maille how many layers did that one have? I think I may go with 3 layers as thats what the Revival Clothing gambeson has. I don't really have the spare money to spend 340 bucks on a gambeson as I am buying that shield, but a 100 dollar one shouldn't be too big a deal. Maybe I should sell the shield I currently have after gluing the canvas back on.

Sir Gerard de Rodes:
Sir Ulrich,
I was fortunate enough to get one of these at a "SALE" price.
Mine had arming points already attached and these were very well placed and have not failed yet.
They are ( on the whole) quite robustly made. The only place that has needed a little attention over the four of five seasons is the stitching holding the arm to the body.
I would definitely go for an arming jack/gamby with under arm coverage as Sir Brian suggests, if I were you.
G.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version