Main > The Armoury

Armets, close helms?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Ian:
From wikipedia, as Allan described, here you can see the opening cheek pieces on the Armet, and the sliding gorget/bevor pieces on the close helm.

Armet:

Close Helm: (You can also see the beginnings of 16th Century Burgonet styling in this helmet)

And my all time favorite Armet reproduction by Jeff Wasson:

Sir Wolf:
armets are the bomb. i get to play with a macpherson armet all the time. its sooooooooo smooth

Leganoth:
So theyre expensive pretty much lol

Sir Wolf:
oooooh yeah.

Leganoth:

--- Quote from: Allan Senefelder on 2012-03-01, 18:34:33 ---There are several features that distinguish close helmets from armets. Armets open by two side hinged plates as Ian mentioned, close helmets open via the entire fron of the helmet swigning up on two side mounted rivets/bolts on which the visors also move. Armets, did not incorperate lower " gorget lames " , in the 15th century the defense for the neck being formed by either a maille standard and some time maille hanging from the bottom edge of the armet or by the afixing of a seperate piece of armour called a wrapper, looking something like a bevor. In the 16th century ( by the end of the first decade of the century ) the " locking armet " had developed which has a large half circular channel all the way around the bottom edge of the armet. The is was worn woth a gorget with a bit more pronounced rolled edge on the top lame of the gorget so that, when the side hinged plates were borught into place and closed vi spring pin at the chin, the channel on the bottom edge of armet, locked over the pronouned top roll of the gorget, locking them together a forming a turner similar to that seen on 16th and 17th century arms in thier upper assembly. Armets usually had a one piece visor. Close helmets, which are an advent of the 16th century have usually two or three gorget lames attached to a flange formed by the bottom edge of the bowl of the helmet front and back forming a defense for the neck. They also had thier visor broken down into two parts and upper and lower half, allowing for only the top half to be opened from the nose to the forhead, or the whole face cleared if both visors were raised.

--- End quote ---

My pigface helmet has 2 hinges to attach the face to the helmet but theres a little lock bar that goes through a hole on the face piece. The only thing i dont like about it, is its a bascinet but, to lift the visor up you have to take the pins out the side, unlock it and then it can slide up, but for some reason it doesnt want to stay in the up position

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version