Main > The Armoury

Armets, close helms?

(1/4) > >>

Leganoth:
Trying to find a "classic knight helmet"
cant really find any real ones but heres a picture that shows exactly what i mean: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/file/view/elite_knight_helm.png/269849748/elite_knight_helm.png

Trying to find a helmet style like that

Ian:
Armets and close helms are considered to pretty much be the same thing by a lot of historians.  Some distinguish helmets that open via cheek pieces armets and via a sliding bevor a close helm though.  They're late 15th and 16th century helmets.

Here's a standard cheek piece opening armet
http://armstreet.com/store/armor/armet-knight-helmet

An armet that doesn't totally look like garbage is going to be expensive because they're intricate in design.

Here's a much cheaper one by the same company, but it doesn't look like a historical armet at all, the proportions are way off
http://armstreet.com/store/armor/exclusive-functional-armet-combat-helm-helmet-armor

Sir Edward:

That first armet looks great. I may have to look into one of those myself at some point. I need something a little more functional for my plate kit.

Sir James A:
Armets/Close helms are my favorite style, and they're wildly expensive. Illusion Armoring makes one, and a couple other places who have since gone out of business. Beware the cheap ones, they look way off historically, or are low quality in general. Some armor can be had for reasonably cheap and still at good quality; an armet is a very complex piece, and not one that you can skimp on.

Allan Senefelder:
There are several features that distinguish close helmets from armets. Armets open by two side hinged plates as Ian mentioned, close helmets open via the entire fron of the helmet swigning up on two side mounted rivets/bolts on which the visors also move. Armets, did not incorperate lower " gorget lames " , in the 15th century the defense for the neck being formed by either a maille standard and some time maille hanging from the bottom edge of the armet or by the afixing of a seperate piece of armour called a wrapper, looking something like a bevor. In the 16th century ( by the end of the first decade of the century ) the " locking armet " had developed which has a large half circular channel all the way around the bottom edge of the armet. The is was worn woth a gorget with a bit more pronounced rolled edge on the top lame of the gorget so that, when the side hinged plates were borught into place and closed vi spring pin at the chin, the channel on the bottom edge of armet, locked over the pronouned top roll of the gorget, locking them together a forming a turner similar to that seen on 16th and 17th century arms in thier upper assembly. Armets usually had a one piece visor. Close helmets, which are an advent of the 16th century have usually two or three gorget lames attached to a flange formed by the bottom edge of the bowl of the helmet front and back forming a defense for the neck. They also had thier visor broken down into two parts and upper and lower half, allowing for only the top half to be opened from the nose to the forhead, or the whole face cleared if both visors were raised.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version