Main > The Armoury

Arming wear

(1/4) > >>

Leganoth:
We all have it or need it, so we all know somthing about it.

But anyways, to the real question, where would you get an arming doublet with chainmail built in for plate armor?? I see it often on medieval shows

Ian:
A lightly to non-padded arming doublet with maille voiders (that's the term for the attached maille) sewn on is a 15th century invention.  14th century would be a padded gambeson with a full separate maille haubergeon worn over the gambeson, and then the plate on top of that.

if you're set on the 15th century doublet with maille voiders, a high quality one can be had here:

http://historicenterprises.com/doublet-arming-15th-century-w-free-arming-coif-p-713.html?cPath=99_112

You would need to select the option of adding voider eyelets.  This will facilitate the lacing on of the voiders.  You can also semi-permanently sew the voiders on, but this makes cleaning the doublet quite a chore.

The voiders themselves can be found here:

http://store.fastcommerce.com/icefalcon/stainless-steel-chainmail-voiders-ff808181179c9ac201179d97dcaa38a8-p.html

An on that very site they show the voiders laced to the Historic Enterprises doublet.  In addition to voiders, this would also be typically worn with a maille fauld, i.e. skirt.

If you're still interested in doing a 14th century kit, this would not be historically accurate.  It would be like a WW2 soldier wearing a modern soldier's MOLLE gear.

Sir Wolf:
ya the mail is sewn onto the arming jacket. :)

Leganoth:
Ahh i see, so it is possible/period to wear a hauberk/haubergaben over your gabeson and under plate, thought it wouldnt work cause the chains would mess up strapping, get caught, and or mess with the measurments to your body

Ian:

--- Quote from: Leganoth on 2012-02-22, 01:34:46 ---Ahh i see, so it is possible/period to wear a hauberk/haubergaben over your gabeson and under plate, thought it wouldnt work cause the chains would mess up strapping, get caught, and or mess with the measurments to your body

--- End quote ---

It works, my avatar photo is plate over a full haubergeon.  The big thing with this though, is you must take measurements or be fitted for your armor OVER the gambeson and maille, or it will never fit right.  If the plate and/or straps are binding on your maille, it's because the plate is not fitted properly.

It will also help a lot to get as good a fit as possible of the maille haubergeon itself, otherwise having tons of excess maille can impede things like arm armor from moving properly.

As far as pointing, I attach my arms directly to the maille itself.  This is also another reason the maille needs to fit well, otherwise the plate will shift around if the haubergeon is allowed to do so.

The leg harness is supported by a separate garment, called a pourpoint.  It supports the weight of your leg armor on the hips.  This prevents the weight of the armor from being transferred to the shoulders which would greatly increase strain and fatigue.  It works by being really tight at the waist.  I use this one:

http://www.revivalclothing.com/14thcenturylinenpourpoint.aspx

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version