Main > The Armoury

Falchion

<< < (3/4) > >>

Sir Matthew:
I carry an early 16th Century Italian Falchion for my 16/17th century kits. The Falchion is my all time favorite sword, probably because it is so simple, yet elegan looking. And bonus is they were used for such a long time with only minor changes. My example is much more ornate than most earlier Falchions, but blade wise it looks almost exactly like the earlier medieval example one of the other guys in my reenacting unit has. His is a Windlass, I have no idea who made mine, I got it from Therion last year when he got a special shipment of a few in. I do know it is the same as the one Norm Carey carries at VaRF and MdRF.

Sir William:
I love the falchion...especially the ones with a slight curve in the blade...they make nasty choppers.

Sir Matthew, do you carry the Italian model from Windlass?  Has a pretty ornate guard with an extra curve portion to it?  I wonder...I always liked it, ended up gifting it to my best man at my wedding.  I actually got that one from Bill Grandy back when SFI had actual people posting there.  ;)

Ian:
From a French manuscript dated to 1380. The man with what looks like a falchion has a crown on his head, so I'd say it's fair to guess the falchion spanned social classes.

http://manuscriptminiatures.com/cy-commencent-les-grans-croniques-de-la-genealogie/253/

Sir Matthew:
Mine may be a Windlass piece, but I have no idea. I know it is pretty ornate compared to most I've seen, but not in comparison to other swords from the 16th and 17th centuries. It does have a pretty good curve to it. I really like it and wish I knew who made it to keep an eye out for any others like it that might pop up on ebay or such places.

Sir Ulrich:
I think it's a windlass piece, this looks like the same one. I liked it when I saw it up close.

http://sbgswordforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=swordreviews&action=print&thread=8275

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version