Main > The Armoury

"Easy" armor suspension for armor stands

<< < (2/3) > >>

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2013-07-16, 15:43:59 ---The pic's gone, Sir James.

--- End quote ---

Internet gnomes. Seems I lost track of it when I moved most of my stuff off photobucket to my own hosting. I'll get some fresh ones.

Ian:
HE stocks good brass chapes for affixing to the ends of your laces and points if you prefer.  They're about $1 a piece but they really look the part.  I used them on my arming points and they're not hard to work with.  You just insert the bitter end of your lacing in to the chape with a little glue, pinch it closed with a pliers and wipe off any squeeze-out.

http://historicenterprises.com/reenactment-goods-c-102/dress-accessories-c-102_165/chapes-lace-pkg-of-12-p-1116.html

Sir William:
I actually picked up a pack of 12 of those sometime last year I think.  Good looking stuff.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2013-07-17, 11:08:52 ---HE stocks good brass chapes for affixing to the ends of your laces and points if you prefer.  They're about $1 a piece but they really look the part.  I used them on my arming points and they're not hard to work with.  You just insert the bitter end of your lacing in to the chape with a little glue, pinch it closed with a pliers and wipe off any squeeze-out.

http://historicenterprises.com/reenactment-goods-c-102/dress-accessories-c-102_165/chapes-lace-pkg-of-12-p-1116.html

--- End quote ---

Great minds think alike, I used the same on the arming points for my pourpoint, gambeson and arming coat. The points on my armor stands are stapled to the stand itself, so I went with something cheap (and that I wouldn't have to braid). Those HE chapes work very well, I've only had 1 pull off, and the point was too short. The "secret" is to pull the chape through, but when pulling the points to raise the leg / arm harness to where it's comfortable, pull by the point and not the chape.

Sir Martyn:
Sir James -

Thanks for this.  Were you able to come up with a workable solution for affixing the gauntlets?  Did you end up using the rare earth magnets, or do something else?

When I got my armor, my friends in Novi Sad suprised me by also giving me a very nice stand to go with it :)  The only difficulty with it I've had since has been in figuring out a way to hang the gauntlets.  At the official unveiling they had temporarily suspended them with fishing line, but that was a one-off solution for that one event.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version