Main > The Armoury

Sugarloaf helmet, suggestions for neck protection

(1/5) > >>

merc3065:
Anyone have some suggestions/ideas?
I had some photos taken last night with my new helmet and full harness on, but my neck was still fully exposed underneath the helmet's lower edge.
Keep in mind I can't fit a coif underneath the helmet so I think my options are a little limited.

Sir Edward:

Historically they'd have been used with a coif, but since that doesn't fit with yours, probably the next best thing is to cheat and use a mail standard. Those weren't really used until much later with plate armor, but at least it would look mostly right when you have it all on (hence the cheating).

merc3065:
Whatever works I say!

Is there an arming cap that isn't padded?  Like a little bonnet or something that just covers your hair? 
I've got a padded arming cap I use with my coif and I can't really wear that underneath on the helmet as there's already padding inside my helmet.  Hence why I can't really wear a coif.  But I wonder how badly the coif would dig in through some thin/unpadded linen or how comfortable it would be.  Probably not that comfortable since it's almost 100% direct skin contact with the maille.

Sir Edward:

Yes, a thin fabric cap is certainly doable. I don't know of any sellers off hand (the Revival Clothing one is fairly thick), but they're easy to make too. This sort of cap would frequently be worn as headwear by itself, so it's a very period option.

Sir Gerard de Rodes:
As Sir Ed says, I think a mail standard would look the part and is a good compromise if you can`t fit a mail coif under your helm.
I wear a large mail standard as an option instead of the aventail on my Houndskull bassinet.
http://modernchivalry.org/knightdata/44/photo1300127445-0009-huge.jpg
G.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version