Main > The Armoury

newly tailored maille coif

<< < (2/4) > >>

SirNathanQ:
Expanding rows, Sir Wolf?

Sir Wolf:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/trevor.barker/farisles/guilds/armour/mail.htm about half way down. mail is tailored when it's made. butted mail can easily be taken all apart and redone right.

Allan Senefelder:
Nathan, if you look at a simple sheet of maille, say 8" x8" with the exception of the rings around the four outter edges ( which will only be attached to three other rings ) all the rings in the sheet will be attached to four other rings, two in the row above and two in the row below. In an expanding row, while you will still attach the rings to two rings in the row above, when installing the next row below you will attach three rings ( how much you grow or expand you pattern will depend on the frequency of rings with three rings attached at the bottom, every ring will make for big expansion, every other a bit less, every 3rd or 4th less ect. still depending on how much you need to add ) thus adding a ring into the count every time you do it and the row below it will thus be that much farther around as well ( this can be done in reverse, you can have rings go through three rather than two rings in the row above them thus reducing your count ).

Sir Patrick:

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2012-01-03, 00:43:29 ---http://homepage.ntlworld.com/trevor.barker/farisles/guilds/armour/mail.htm about half way down. mail is tailored when it's made. butted mail can easily be taken all apart and redone right.

--- End quote ---

I actually made a butted coif using these instructions a few months ago (as a placeholder/learning experience).  Fits just right!  I wish I had the patience to make all my maille (rivetted of course!), because you really have a lot more freedom to tailor it just right.

Sir Edward:

Expansion rings are great, but if you're tailoring existing mail, you'd have to practically start over to do them. With those expansion rings inline with the pattern, you don't see "edges" where the pattern angle changes. It'll be invisible.

But like I said, you'd pretty much have to start from scratch to do them, since they need to be interspersed throughout the pattern.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version