"We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey (Quest?) that no one can take for us or spare us."
                -- Marcel Post (1871 - 1922)

Author Topic: Reinforcing points on arming clothes  (Read 20614 times)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Reinforcing points on arming clothes
« Reply #15 on: 2012-03-01, 19:02:30 »
I'll keep them in mind.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
« Reply #16 on: 2014-01-09, 15:24:40 »
Sir James, the photobucket pictures dont work! I am looking to start doing my gambeson and putting on points now and was looking forward to using this thread! :)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 2014-01-09, 17:36:24 »
Sir James, the photobucket pictures dont work! I am looking to start doing my gambeson and putting on points now and was looking forward to using this thread! :)

Ah, forgot about it when I moved stuff off photobucket, I'll get it fixed shortly. For now, use this:

http://www.james-anderson-iii.com/tutorials/pages/arming.points/

I've also changed points again, if you can wait til the weekend, I'll put new pictures up.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
« Reply #18 on: 2014-01-09, 17:41:37 »
I guess I can wait ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #19 on: 2014-01-09, 18:04:56 »
OOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 2014-01-09, 18:21:59 »
This is how I reinforce arming points.  I make 4 hand-sewn eyelets in a  square pattern and then reinforce on the back with a square piece of scrap leather.  Then weave your arming point through the 4 eyelets and corresponding holes on the leather.  The more eyelets the less stress on any one individual eyelet.  You have the option to sew the leather to the garment for a little more reinforcement, but it's way harder to replace.

This is the inside of my leg suspension points on my arming doublet:

This is what it looks like with the cuisse suspended:
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 2014-01-09, 19:22:31 »
Glad to see you up and about, Sir Ian- as for the arming points, I'm glad I saw this pic again...I was under the impression that the tabs were to be on the outside of the garment.  Not that I have anything that I need to worry about w/regard to arming points, still, for the future...you know?
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 2014-01-09, 19:25:25 »
Glad to see you up and about, Sir Ian- as for the arming points, I'm glad I saw this pic again...I was under the impression that the tabs were to be on the outside of the garment.  Not that I have anything that I need to worry about w/regard to arming points, still, for the future...you know?

For arms, I would suspend from the outside.  I only suspend from the inside for legs because the curvature of the upper cuisse would cause bunching of the material and make it less mobile if it was sitting on top of the quilted fabric.
« Last Edit: 2014-01-09, 19:27:25 by Ian »
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #23 on: 2014-01-09, 23:47:49 »
Sir Ian does his very similar to mine. Four holes, leather tab. I've punched holes around the perimeter of the leather and sewn it directly to my arming coat, though. I don't plan to wash it anyway; historical smells and all that. ;)

Also as Sir Ian said, legs, you can point from the inside, and I believe in most cases should, especially earlier arming garments. Mine are pointed on the outside, but sit at the bottom of my arming coat, as it's a later period style and shorter at the waist than Sir Ian's (ends slightly below where his points are, I believe). Back with the longer, poofy earlier gambesons, legs pointed on the outside had some serious "flop". I think this is why the pourpoint/gambeson combo is so prevalent with the earlier period guys; it moves much nicer and with less slop than a single gambeson with OUTER pointed legs. Everything else points on the outside - shoulders, arms, voiders, fauld, etc.

I need to finish the arms arming points on my arming coat. I've been lax in it since my arm harness hangs from the gorget since last year or so. I put steel eyelets in, and then sewed over them with thread to hide the steel, while hopefully making it a bit stronger. I didn't know how to sew eyelets at the time and just did punched/steel ones. :( It's on my "to do soon list" since the 1450s Italian armor I recently got points at both bicep and neck and it'll look silly with only one sleeve done.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent