Main > The Armoury

A trip 10 years into the past....

<< < (2/2)

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Allan Senefelder on 2011-12-22, 14:50:23 ---James, while I fully understand looking at work you did in the deep past and saying " ickyyyyyyyy!" ( believe me theres stuff from the mid 90's I hope no one ever figures out I made ) the breast plate is a respectable first attempt, especially given the material you were trying to work with ( stainless, aka satans metal ). I'm betting that the inside sets of rivets on the tassets aren't blind rivets concealing leather articualtion with the outside rivest being slot rivets.

--- End quote ---

You win that bet. :) The rivets are just regular rivets, no slots, and no leather articulation. I didn't know anything about tassets aside from what the outside looked like when I made those. You're right on the stainless - it's a real bear to work with and it work hardens so much quicker than mild. I have to admit, though, having the breastplate in "storage" (aka a random box I forgot I had) for over a decade and not a spot of rust is nice.

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2011-12-22, 15:42:40 ---heheehhe thanks for sharing those!

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2011-12-22, 16:52:50 ---James, that's awesome.  Carpet armor...you're gonna have to share some pics of that!

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: SirNathanQ on 2011-12-23, 01:08:58 ---Now that's what I want to see  ;)

Hey, the breatplate isn't too bad. A lot better than anything I could churn out  :)

--- End quote ---

I figured you guys would get a couple good laughs out of the pics. I'm 95% sure there's no pictures of my carpet armor - I'll check with my parents tomorrow to confirm, though. I don't think there are any "Page James" pics, as there was for "Page Nathan" - which, BTW, was a great picture. :)

My friend and I took some old carpet and cut ourselves some breast and back plates, then wrapped it in duct tape - and of course, hit each other with the wooden swords I made. It wasn't very impressive, but it was a fun start.

Allan Senefelder:

--- Quote ---My friend and I took some old carpet and cut ourselves some breast and back plates, then wrapped it in duct tape - and of course, hit each other with the wooden swords I made. It wasn't very impressive, but it was a fun start.

--- End quote ---

Wow, carpet armour, the stuff of SCA legend like freon can helmet tops, I never thought i'd know some one who actually wore it.

Sir Edward:

Carpet armor, pickle-barrel armor, etc... Stuff of legends for sure. I'd love to see some pictures. :)

Sir Brian:
Ah the stuff that legends are made of! Thanks for sharing these with us! :)

SirNathanQ:
Haha, we do all have our "Page" selves, it seems. Though only a few come with photo evidence!  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version