Main > The Armoury

My latest aquisition/Need help with gauntlets

<< < (2/4) > >>

Sir William:
Do you leave your hands unprotected when playing with cudgels?

merc3065:

This is the gauntlets, best I could get with photobucket's size shrinking.
They have loops that go around your finger tips.
Noticed when i was oiling everything this evening that one of the knuckles was bashed in from a cudgel hit as well as one of the thumb scales.

And yes, I used just the gauntlets and bracer without a basket or pot for the longest time until someone was getting a little over excited and that's when I got whacked on the side of my thumb.  It's also when I realized that the thumb plate had swiveled and I had no protection on my thumb basically.

So I'm debating if I sew my leather gloves into them or not as I like to be able to use the gloves for just whatever.  I can get another pair like them so I have the option to.

Allan Senefelder:
Unless you want to continue to have these sleuce around on your hands get out the needle and thread and a few rivets for the cuffs too. The finger leathers are cut pretty tight to the lames so it'll be a squeeze. Who made these ( they look a bit like ones I see on ebay for $49 a fair amount at least from the few pics posted ).

merc3065:
Wouldn't be surprised if they are the similar to the ebay cheapies.  These are from somewhere in eastern Europe.  I bought the whole kit at a ren faire in Milton Ontario.

I paid just over $1000 for my entire harness of 18ga plate.  It's pretty much just for show, nothing will withstand more than a few hits before becoming damaged and wooden weapons do a number on steel plate, more so than steel on steel. 

I may wind up putting this up on a display and working on a more robust harness that is more period and can be used for proper steel combat.

In reality, the fiancee doesn't want me to be horsing around in this too much as it's supposed to be part of my outfit for our wedding next September heh :)
I'll be working on sewing the gloves to the gauntlets over the holidays.

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: merc3065 on 2011-12-23, 14:45:50 ---In reality, the fiancee doesn't want me to be horsing around in this too much as it's supposed to be part of my outfit for our wedding next September heh :)

--- End quote ---

Congrats!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version