Main > The Armoury

My full current kit

<< < (8/12) > >>

Sir Ulrich:
Now to find a source of butted 9MM links to seal the seams up. Anyone know which one to get? I don't need MANY just a few for the 2 arm seams, also gonna get some riveted ones once I make a more permanent solution.

Sir William:
I have a whole bag of I believe 8mm links, Ulrich...you're welcome to a good number of them once I'm finished.  Knowing you'd be waiting on them would be the impetus I need to get moving on it.  Let me know.

Ian:
Butted links are also very easy to make.  You just go to the hardware store, buy a spool of steel wire (usually used for electric fences and the like) and buy a steel dowel rod of the inner diameter you want, wrap it around tightly in a coil, and then use wire cutters to cut the links free.  It's a cheap way to get bulk butted links.  If you just need the links to temporarily hold closed your maille while you're fitting it for eventual riveting, this is a good way to do it. 

The links don't even need to be the perfect size if just for temporary use.  It's labor intensive, but it works, and it's cheap.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2011-12-01, 22:26:43 ---Butted links are also very easy to make.  You just go to the hardware store, buy a spool of steel wire (usually used for electric fences and the like) and buy a steel dowel rod of the inner diameter you want, wrap it around tightly in a coil, and then use wire cutters to cut the links free.  It's a cheap way to get bulk butted links.  If you just need the links to temporarily hold closed your maille while you're fitting it for eventual riveting, this is a good way to do it. 

The links don't even need to be the perfect size if just for temporary use.  It's labor intensive, but it works, and it's cheap.

--- End quote ---

I did it this way a long time ago, and had a small wooden jig I made for it, and used my drill (slowwwwwwly) to wind them. I've probably got some "springs" (which is what they come off like) floating around I can send you, Sir Ulrich. I'll check the diameter of them.

Sir Patrick:
Agreed Ian.  Iset up a mandrel and churned out 250 link springs in about 2 minutes.  Add another few minutes to cut them and BAM, you're done!  This link shows you how to get started:
http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.cgi?key=202

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version