Main > The Armoury

My full current kit

<< < (6/12) > >>

Sir Ulrich:
Yeah, thankfully you cant really see them in my full kit you just see the legs of the chausses. Just need a new gambeson though and to tailor this maille. It's VERY uncomfortable when it flops around and whatnot which is why I deliberately purchased the smallest size I could get to get rid of too much weight, turns out this smallest size was just not small enough.. Don't want to ruin the maille though in a failed attempt to tailor it plus finding riveted blackened rings to match the rest of it's gonna be a pain.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2011-11-20, 07:25:27 ---Yeah, thankfully you cant really see them in my full kit you just see the legs of the chausses. Just need a new gambeson though and to tailor this maille. It's VERY uncomfortable when it flops around and whatnot which is why I deliberately purchased the smallest size I could get to get rid of too much weight, turns out this smallest size was just not small enough.. Don't want to ruin the maille though in a failed attempt to tailor it plus finding riveted blackened rings to match the rest of it's gonna be a pain.

--- End quote ---

Don't stress about the mail too much. It takes extensive, extensive mistakes to ruin it - it's just rings linked together. If you tailor it and it's still too loose, remove some more rings. If it's too tight, cut it and add some rings back in. Unless you're trying to convert the elbows to 45* joins or make some "structural" alteration, chances of ruining it are extremely slim. If it's GDFB riveted mail, their loose rings should match - I have the IceFalcon loose rings and they match the other IceFalcon assembled mail I've purchased.

Sir Ulrich:
Guess that means I should go buy some icefalcon riveted rings and a riveting tool. Dunno how to get the riveting tool but I know where to find the rings. Dunno if it's a better buy to get the GDFB ones or the icefalcon ones, I'd assume icefalcon because I'd be getting more bang for my buck.

Sir Edward:

My #1 piece of advice when altering mail is that it's better to remove too little than too much. You can always take out a little more if you need to, but it's hard to add it back in when you're dealing with rivets. I'd take out a little, and lace it together and see how it fits before re-linking anything.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2011-11-22, 02:48:09 ---Guess that means I should go buy some icefalcon riveted rings and a riveting tool. Dunno how to get the riveting tool but I know where to find the rings. Dunno if it's a better buy to get the GDFB ones or the icefalcon ones, I'd assume icefalcon because I'd be getting more bang for my buck.

--- End quote ---

IceFalcon has the riveting tool with the rings too. If you call him to order, just tell him what you want and he'll invoice you for it. In my experience, the pliers should match the maker of the rings - my Historic Enterprises pliers don't work with the IceFalcon rings, and the IF pliers don't work well with the HE rings.

Sir Edward's advice is spot on - remove a little, check, retry. It's like the old carpenter saying "measure twice, cut once".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version