Main > The Armoury

Surcoat/Tabard

<< < (6/8) > >>

Sir William:
Is it historical for surcoats to be somewhat fitted?  I can't remember where I read that the contemporary ones which are sort of straight up and down with little emphasis on the outline underneath are just that...contemporary. 

However, from what Sir Edward described above, sort of makes the case- at least that it should be more than a 't-tunic'. 

Sir Edward:

I think historically they varied quite a bit in terms of how well body-formed they were, but I'd guess that they usually were pretty well fitted by the 14th C. Earlier, it might have varied quite a bit more.

SirNathanQ:
What is the best material for a surcoat? Does anyone wear one over riveted maille? What fabric, in what wieght hold up the best?

Sir Brian:
Medium weight linen holds up really well. Especially if you have two layers like mine. Silk is good as well but beware white silk as it soaks up EVERYTHING including the bled out dye from other fabrics. Linen is really the best though. :)

Sir Ulrich:
I still lack a surcoat that fits me. Got a GDFB linen templar one thats oversized and baggy on me, I have yet to meet someone who can resize it. Thing is I dont think white would look good over black maille unless I did teutonic knight. I also have a surcoat thats made of cotton thats currently waiting to be sewn but it's white so I may dye it. Dont know anyone who sews though so I dont really have as many resources as you guys do.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version