Main > The Courtyard

WMAW 2011

<< < (6/8) > >>

Sir Edward:

Well this year I spent less money than I have in the past. The last few times I've gone, I've come home with new albions (or at least ordered them). This year it was easier to resist... because I already have one on order. lol! :)

But I picked up a messer trainer from A&A (I think they finally nailed it. It handles well, and costs less than the ones others are making), as well as a new gorget from That Guy's Products.

My effort to pace myself, and get into slightly better physical condition in advance, both worked out pretty well. I signed up for a lot of lectures, and made sure I got to bed at a semi-reasonable time by not staying on-site past 11pm. I also made a point to drink a lot more water. Between these, I still had energy for more vigorous classes on the last day, didn't get my usual migraine toward the end, and I was ready to fence more people.

Also, doing cardio stuff at the gym in advance helps a lot. When I bouted other folks, my arms would get tired quickly, but I never got out of breath. I kept going until they suggested we stop. :) 

I think the event gets a little better each time. Boy, 2013 is a long time away.

Das Bill:
Yes, this was definitely the best WMAW, and it seems that the event only gets better every single time.

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2011-09-23, 19:32:41 ---But I picked up a messer trainer from A&A (I think they finally nailed it. It handles well, and costs less than the ones others are making),
--- End quote ---

You aren't kidding. The current version exceeds my expectations in function, form, and even price. The prototypes that I commissioned are now back at A&A for Craig to modify to be like the one you have, and I'm half tempted to buy another just because these are so awesome.

--- Quote ---My effort to pace myself, and get into slightly better physical condition in advance, both worked out pretty well. I signed up for a lot of lectures, and made sure I got to bed at a semi-reasonable time by not staying on-site past 11pm. I also made a point to drink a lot more water. Between these, I still had energy for more vigorous classes on the last day, didn't get my usual migraine toward the end, and I was ready to fence more people.

Also, doing cardio stuff at the gym in advance helps a lot. When I bouted other folks, my arms would get tired quickly, but I never got out of breath. I kept going until they suggested we stop. :) 
--- End quote ---

That's awesome that you fenced so much. I feel like I was trying too hard to pace myself, so I actually did not get in as much free fencing as I wish I did, and I'm sort of kicking myself now about that. Oh well, it was still an amazing event, and I'm once again sad to have to wait another two years for the next one.

Sir Edward:
It's funny, I'm always nervous and slightly apprehensive before going. There's just so much raw talent out there, and I'm terrified of showing up without some critical piece of equipment. :) But once I'm there, I have a blast, have no worries, and end up buying more gear while I'm there.

What's cool is to see the overall quality of the classes, skill levels, etc continue to improve each year.

This event really is the cream of the crop. Or the "crown jewel" as I heard someone else say.

Sir William:
Two years til the next one?  Is this invitation only?

Sir Edward:

No, anyone can sign up, but the registration fills up faster and faster every year. This year it filled in about 3 days.

It's held every other year, for a couple of reasons. The event used to be put on by two different schools, and they took turns doing it. I don't know the whole story, but one of the schools stopped doing it. The remaining one (The CSG) took it over completely, but it's so much work to do it that they decided they couldn't ramp up to doing it every year by themselves. Plus, the current site ended up working out so well, that they don't want to go back to moving it around like they did before. So now it's just every other year.

Some folks have tried to have some smaller events on the off years to fill the gap (specifically Chivalric Weekend up in NY, which might not be happening anymore). Most other events are annual as you'd expect.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version