Main > The Courtyard

SwordCrafts practice blades

<< < (3/3)

Sir Edward:

It's nice and lively, I thought. Very cool. :)

Sir Brian:
Well I christened the new practice blade as pfeifen (german for "whistle") at MASHS last night and does it ever live up to the name! It is so much faster than my old aluminum practice blade! A real joy to handle!  ;D

Joshua Santana:
Sir Brian, your trainer is an excellent piece!

I am all the more encouraged by your review to create on myself with proper resources.

The difference is that I am a 5'2 swordsman (in training) and I would model my trainer after any 16th Century Hand and a Half Sword, but I thank you again for showing to us another resource in which we can use to learn the Knightly Arts! 

Sir Brian:
Glad you found it useful Joshua! It's always good to have a less expensive alternative to steel trainers if your class mates have both steel and aluminum. MASHS has a preponderance of aluminum trainers because one of the assistant instructors actually makes some rudimentary aluminum wasters for around $100. The blades aren't tempered so the edges require regular maintenance to reduce the number of burrs but they are serviceable for the beginner and intermediate students. Yet I think those of us that have steel trainers in the class are getting the aluminum only crowd more interested in the characteristics of using the steel by freely loaning our steel blades during our free play sessions.  ;)

Joshua Santana:
My thanks as always Sir Brian!

I should not that at SIGMA we do use steel and wooden trainers along with two synthetic wasters as well.

I may digress a bit but I own a CAS Hanwei Hand and a Half trainer which is not bad for my height (I stand at 5'2, my trainer stands at 43") but it can be a bit troublesome when it comes to the Albion Maestro and Arms and Armor trainers.  I intend to raise enough monies to order a custom made Arms and Armor Fechterspiel that stands at 45" which is tall enough for me.  I conclude that it is important to know what type of specifications of sword is good for you when you train (example: height, weight, and aesthetics).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version