Main > The Courtyard

SwordCrafts practice blades

(1/3) > >>

Sir Brian:
One of my fellow MASHS members has an earlier SwordCrafts blade that had its rivets which secured the cross guard become loose and asked if I could repair it for him. I was able to repair it with some solid copper rivets plus rethread the pommel screw. While testing it out I was impressed with how it felt and handled so I decided to order one.
http://www.swordcrafts.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Swordcrafts-2008.pdf

They are able to accomplish quite a few customizations at reasonable prices but I can see where those customizations could easily add up to the price of an Albion practice blade! Still I did allow for a a couple of perks since at MASHS we predominately use aluminum wasters.  ;)

My new aluminum waster will be:
*   Munitions grade long sword, narrow blade, and ovoid scent stopper pommel - $165
*   1” Longer grip - $15
*   2 ring guards - $60
*   Shipping - $58
*   Paypal fees - $9
Comes to $307.00

Here is a review done awhile back by Das Bill at myarmoury.com
http://www.myarmoury.com/review_sc_wast.html

Sir Edward:
Yeah, I think these are really the guys to go to if you want aluminum trainers. They aren't bad. The only real downside is that you have to be careful about thrusting, since aluminum trainers don't flex the way steel does. It forces you to really pull your thrusts.

But SwordCrafts does a nice job with these.

Sir William:
Nice, Sir Brian...a good deal cheaper than an Albion Skirmish line or trainer.  Worth looking into if I ever decide to pursue swordsmanship further.

Sir Edward:
When looking to get started in swordsmanship, I'd recommending joining a group before investing a lot in trainers, and see what they're using (unless you don't mind buying one of everything). The reason is that it's a really bad idea to mix materials. Steel will ruin aluminum, and either metal will ruin wood or plastic (though the latter two are OK to use together usually).

Sir Brian:
Absolutely agree Sir Edward! I waited a couple weeks before purchasing my first steel blunt and waited about a month before buying one of Paul Wiedorn’s wasters. Now that I’m sure that WMA will be a big part of my life for the next decade or so I think it is worth investing in some higher quality blades.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version