Main > The Armoury

Arrows vs. Mail -- was Re: Chainmail on a peasant's budget

<< < (6/8) > >>

Sir Ulrich:
I swear one of these days I am gonna get a hauberk from him, Just gotta put some money aside for it. I am VERY impressed by the quality of his work. He should open a factory somewhere in India and make more using cheaper labor, or at the very least sell some rings so I could make my own. I am way too obsessed with maille for my own good though >_>

Sir Wolf:
hehehe i handled one. even had one on. owned by jesse bailey of georgia. it was wayyyyyyyy cool and wayyyyyyyyyyyyy expensive

Sir Rodney:
Sir Ulrich, you have some very fine tastes in mail!  Erik Schmid is considered one of the best mail reproducers alive, if not THE best.  There's a reason Robert MacPherson used Schmid mail in his armours.    :)

I'm envious of Sir Wolf for having the opportunity to try on some of Erik's mail.  I've only had a brief chance to view his work.  Erik can occasionally be found at the MN Ren Fest, another fine Minnesota boy making armour.   ;) 

Sir William:

--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2011-09-06, 20:53:17 ---I swear one of these days I am gonna get a hauberk from him, Just gotta put some money aside for it. I am VERY impressed by the quality of his work. He should open a factory somewhere in India and make more using cheaper labor, or at the very least sell some rings so I could make my own. I am way too obsessed with maille for my own good though >_>

--- End quote ---

Ahhh, but then it wouldn't be his work...it would be the equivalent of Hanwei/Tinkers when you're looking for an actual Tinker- it'll be serviceable, based on his designs, but it won't be his if you know what I mean.

Still, I've spoken with Erik a time or two on SFI and he actually told me that I would be better off making my own than waiting in his queue...no idea how long it is or what have you but I took that to mean he wanted no other business at that time.  This is going back about 7 years so I'm sure things have changed...good or bad, I have no clue.  I still check his site from time to time for updates.

SirNathanQ:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2011-09-01, 19:37:01 ---And one should remember that when the longbowmen ruled the battlefield, it wasn't due to a handful of archers- but hundreds, sometimes thousands of them.  A good archer could loose anywhere from 10-12 shafts per minute, multiply that by, say, the five thousand that Henry fielded at Agincourt (bolstered by less than a thousand mounted knights and men-at-arms) and you're talking about 50,000-60,000 arrows per minute- even the best made armor might withstand half a dozen impacts but eventually, you can see, based on position and range, why Henry won that battle.  Estimates say that an archer could accurately place a shaft from as far away as 200-300 yards (three whole football fields) - heavily armored and mounted knights had to struggle uphill to get to them and archers just loosed shaft after shaft in among them.  A prickly killing field if you will.

--- End quote ---

One should remember in the "Great Longbow Battles" of Crecy, Poitiers, and Agincourt, they all were decided by the melee as much as the arrows. Also, the value of a longbowman wasn't in his ability to kill knights, but to break the heavy charge (Which was extremely deadly to infantry until the advent of the pike) due to shooting down horses (which were largely unarmoured)
Also, there are numerous accounts of maille protecting knights from arrows (Fired from both longbows and the more efficient compound bows of the Muslims)
The evidence in period literature shows many more instances of maille protecting against arrows than not.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version