Main > The Armoury

late 13th early 14th century Teutonic Knight Kit.

<< < (5/7) > >>

Sir Edward:

I have a feeling people didn't adhere to that particular tenet as much as they claimed to.  ;)

Sir William:
Agreed...although I'm willing to be a higher percentage did back then as opposed to any who try it now...back then, the fear of death and Hell was nearly a palpable thing.  Back then, when oaths sworn actually meant something.

SirNathanQ:
yes, and from what happened to the Templars upon "suspicion of heresy" (or simply owning money that didn't belong to the king of France) I think any order would be in a big stew of trouble if order members were out doing such things right and left .

Lord Dane:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2011-08-31, 18:48:54 ---Yea, I understood the reasoning behind that clause in the Orders, what I did not not understand was how many would sign up enthusiastically!  But then, my mindset's different...it is no longer frowned upon to engage in pre-marital relations so...there you have it.

Besides, if the priesthood struggles with it, imagine what a baser minded man like myself would be suffering?  I shudder at the thought!

lol

--- End quote ---

I believe when the Templar Knights' numbers were dwindling in the downturn on the later Crusader days, the Templars ruling cast allowed for the ordaining of Templar Knights called "conferred" to appease the more militaristic part of the Order as to increase numbers & wealth to support their goals.  In which case, Templar Knight conferred were allowed to marry but must give onto the Order 1/2 their estate wealth. Is that factual??

Sir William:
Interesting...that would make sense in a way, although I have not heard of that actually occurring.  Yet another 'secret' of the Templar Order, eh?  I'd buy it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version