Main > The Armoury

My Pikeman's armor

<< < (6/7) > >>

Sir Matthew:
From what I've been able to uncover, the period Buff Coats were made from the European Bison or Wisent, a distant relative of the American Bison. Their hides are very thick and would be suitable for such a coat. Modern Buff Coats are most likely made from Bull hides. Period Buff Coats have been said to have stopped musket balls at medium range and pistol balls at far range as well as turn poorly aimed sword strokes. I think that their strength may be a bit exagerated, but mine is indeed pretty thick and tough. I'm not sure I't let anyone hit me with a sword or shoot a pistol at me from long range when I'm in it, though.

Sir Gerard de Rodes:
Sir Matthew,
The English civil war kit looks great.  ;)
Although I really don`t get very enthused by these "later period" garbs as I don`t see them as medieval or even very "knightly".
G.

Sir Matthew:

--- Quote from: Sir Gerard de Rodes on 2011-08-19, 22:33:21 ---Sir Matthew,
Although I really don`t get very enthused by these "later period" garbs as I don`t see them as medieval or even very "knightly".
G.

--- End quote ---

I was hoping you would chime in. It's nice to have someone from across the pond be able to critique what we are doing over here in representing you. I wasn't much of a fan of later kits either, but once I started playing with matchlocks and cannons, I was hooked. I don't pretend to be representing Knights and Chivalry with this kit, but at some point I fully intend to finish my Mid-1300s Teutonic kit. I've pretty much picked up most of my big ticket items for this era, I just have a couple things to wrap up, then I'll focus on my Knightly kit.

Sir Gerard de Rodes:

--- Quote from: Sir Matthew on 2011-08-19, 22:53:56 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Gerard de Rodes on 2011-08-19, 22:33:21 ---Sir Matthew,
G.

--- End quote ---

I was hoping you would chime in. It's nice to have someone from across the pond be able to critique what we are doing over here in representing you. I wasn't much of a fan of later kits either, but once I started playing with matchlocks and cannons, I was hooked. I don't pretend to be representing Knights and Chivalry with this kit, but at some point I fully intend to finish my Mid-1300s Teutonic kit. I've pretty much picked up most of my big ticket items for this era, I just have a couple things to wrap up, then I'll focus on my Knightly kit.

--- End quote ---

Sir Matthew,
One of the most prominent re-enactment groups here in the UK is the "Sealed Knot". They are the biggest English civil war re-enactment group in the world (and don`t they know it). If you need any pointers, look to them.
I am all for people doing/re-enacting other periods, if money alowed I would also be doing WWII.
I really believe that the C14th is the most interesting medieval period for many reasons; 100 years war, Armour progression, fashions, chivalric ideals etc etc.
You mention black powder and I can`t help but get enthused. I am in the middle of getting a C14th handgonne made for display purposes.

Good luck with the C14th kit, please don`t go over to the dark side of the C15th, they might be shiney and clanky but they aint chivalrous (awaits onslaught of comments).

Touching the match to the hole,
G.

SirNathanQ:
All I'll say is that IMO the knight's golden era were between the 13th-15th centuries. I plan to cover them all.

And Go TEUTONIC! WOOO!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version