Main > The Courtyard

Sword and heater shield.

<< < (6/14) > >>

Sir Gerard de Rodes:

--- Quote from: Lord Rodney on 2011-08-17, 19:37:47 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Gerard de Rodes on 2011-08-17, 19:09:31 ---We fight with heater shield and hand weapons quite often. We found the full sized 2`X3` ones to be quite cumbersome.
As I make our shields, I played around with slightly different sizes and strapping layouts and ended up with a great,light and usable shield. It is strapped so that the fore-arm sits behind its length and the tip can be used as a nice aid to punching  :P It can also be strapped to the upper arm so defending the left shoulder but leaving the left hand free.

I don`t recall seeing any contemporary illustrations of heater shields being used in foot combat though. If I come accross anything I will post here.
G.

--- End quote ---

What dimensions did you settle on?  Would you mind posting photographs of the front and back of a heater you made?  I need to make another heater for SCA combat (mine's about had it) and I'd like to go the historically plausible route vs. purely a sport shield.

--- End quote ---

Of course, here is a photo of the first one I did for myself;
Front;
http://s230.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/JOBO_028/Craigs%20Shields/?action=view&current=Derodes2.jpg
Rear;
http://s230.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/JOBO_028/Craigs%20Shields/?action=view&current=SwordSheildrear.jpg

The timber is made to be 18mm thick then it has a steel plate over the front, then 2 layers of heavy canvas. This makes it very very heavy to use as a shield on an armoured arm  ::)
The later ones I have made have been 12mm timber with one layer of thick canvas and no plate....much more usable. ;)

The overall dimensions are 600mm X 400mm.

G.

Sir William:

--- Quote from: Sir Gerard de Rodes on 2011-08-17, 19:09:31 ---It is strapped so that the fore-arm sits behind its length and the tip can be used as a nice aid to punching  :P It can also be strapped to the upper arm so defending the left shoulder but leaving the left hand free.
G.

--- End quote ---

I like the sound of that VERY much.  Love what you've shown us too...what material do you use as the covering?  It looks shiny almost...or is that the paint?

Sir Gerard de Rodes:

--- Quote from: Syr William on 2011-08-17, 20:20:36 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Gerard de Rodes on 2011-08-17, 19:09:31 ---It is strapped so that the fore-arm sits behind its length and the tip can be used as a nice aid to punching  :P It can also be strapped to the upper arm so defending the left shoulder but leaving the left hand free.
G.

--- End quote ---

I like the sound of that VERY much.  Love what you've shown us too...what material do you use as the covering?  It looks shiny almost...or is that the paint?

--- End quote ---

Most certainly the fresh paint lol.
I use as thick a linen/canvas as I can get hold of. I overlap this at least 3 times at the edge. Sometimes the customer asks for rawhide edging which really adds to the longevity of the shield.

G.

Sir William:
What sort of paint do you use?  I like the look of it, love the idea of being able to strap it higher if need be even better.

Sir Gerard de Rodes:
Most of the shields I make for the group are classed as consumable as they get such a battering, therefore I only use cheap spray paint, masked to get colour changes and stencils for lions etc.
That`s also why I bolt straps and handles on rather than authentic rivets, so the straps etc can be used again when the shield is useless. They look great from where the MOPS are sitting lol ;)
The woman in the photo`s, painting my posh, later norman shield is Lou who runs "Knight ware", I`m not sure what paint she uses. I can find out for you if you wish.
G.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version