Main > The Courtyard

Sword and heater shield.

<< < (4/14) > >>

Sir Brian:
Good and valid point. I wonder just how structured and frequent that sort of training is for law enforcement crowd control?

Frater de Beaumanoir:
I can tell you that back in the mid 80s, we had to do the training (8 hours), once every month while I was stationed in Panama. Now it's a lost art, unless maybe with the Military Police. As for Law Enforcement, maybe covered like we did, unless you're in an area prone to demonstrations and riots like areas in Europe or the Middle East I would guess.

Sir Rodney:

--- Quote from: Frater de Beaumanoir on 2011-08-14, 02:50:20 ---Just a thought here, but has anyone looked at the resources that Law Enforcement agencies and the military use when conducting riot control operations. The shield there (much like the Roman scutum or Norman kite in size at times) as offensive options with smash and trap, along with the manipulation of the baton (sword) in support or being supported.

Just my .02 cents.  :)

--- End quote ---

Short answer: "Yes"

Long answer:  One of my SCA mercenary company brothers is a police sergeant in the Twin Cities and a retired MP.  He has frequently commented that police riot shields and batons are handled very much in the same manner as SCA war shields (scutums, etc.) and rattan swords.

You may recall that we hosted the last Republican National Convention (RNC) in St. Paul.  During the preparations, a call was put out for volunteers on the riot control teams.  My friend quickly signed up for the training.  As it turns out, his shield and baton skills were deemed a little too "enthusiastic" by the trainers and he was relegated to a supervisory role.  This broke his heart as he truly wanted to be on the front line, just like every other summer weekend!  ;D

True story.  :)

Frater de Beaumanoir:
 ;D ;)

SirNathanQ:
I know the riot police and such actually use SCA guys to instruct them at times.

And while the riot shield is believable for a scutum or a Kite, a heater, even a large one is much smaller. At the least, you would be leaving your legs exposed.

And then there's edge alignment. A police baton would be quite usable for a mace though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version