Main > The Armoury

Maille Tailor

<< < (3/5) > >>

Sir Edward:

I think I first heard that in a semi-recent comedy film. Like Superhero Movie or something. I think the scene was an X-men rip-off if I remember.

The phrase is just so... descriptive. :)

Sir William:

--- Quote from: SirNathanQ on 2011-08-10, 20:16:10 ---Yeah, Bingo Wings.  ;D
A personal favorite phrase of mine.... 8)

Familiar with the term are we?

--- End quote ---

No, first I've heard of it...but the term is so descriptive, I just envisioned these little old biddies jumping up and down when they hit Bingo- and there I had it.  Hilarious!

Sir Ulrich:
Got a pic of the maille? I am curious to how it looks cause I almost bought the GDFB stuff myself. I would assume the sleeves are tailored differently.

SirNathanQ:
I'll get pics once I'm done tailoring. Sorry, the camera is in high demand around the home  :P

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2011-08-10, 17:19:25 ---Unfortunately I don't know anyone who customizes mail for others. Most of us who've done some tailoring have grudgingly done it just to make it fit better on ourselves, and probably couldn't be paid enough to do it for any other reason. :)
--- End quote ---

Indeed! Ser William, I appreciate the mention, but I've got a solid 15 hours or more into just expanding an existing mail skirt, and it's nearly driven me to madness being rivited. Butted mail is cake in comparison now.

Sir Nathan, it was suggested by Sir Edward to lace through the arms to know where to tailor at. I *cannot* stress the importance of this. I tailored the 3/4 arms on my butted mail shirt without realizing that my measurements were off - I did some math and figured out how many rings to remove based on the excess "flop" I had - but I forgot to account for the overlap in the rings, and I removed too much! After a solid 10ish hours of spreading, removing, and re-closing the entire sleeve, it wouldn't fit over my forearm.

It's been sitting on the floor of my home office since the last weekend of VARF. I'd be more inclined to finish it if I had done it right the first time through, and if I hadn't transitioned to rivited... but the old "measure twice, cut once" adage couldn't be more important with rivited mail.

EDIT: I'm more than happy to give any advice or motivation if you want to try it yourself. It's not hard, it's just time consuming. Really, really time consuming. All you need for tools is a pair or two of needle/generic pliers, and the riviting pliers (~$20).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version