Main > The Armoury

Wooden version of this shield?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Leganoth on 2011-08-03, 03:52:07 ---http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-15-bastard-sword.aspx
http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-79-hand-and-a-half-sword.aspx

Found those swords, are they usable for cutting instead of for show? I need a real sword not stage swords.

--- End quote ---

The hand and a half has a carbon steel blade, which would be usable for cutting, but would likely require sharpening. The type of steel of the other sword isn't even listed.

Sir Edward:
I can see the links now.

I have an older version of the Hand-and-a-Half. The newer ones are more lightweight, but I haven't looked at them closely enough to know how sturdy they are, or how sharp they are. The size of the sword is very much like a typical one-handed sword, but with a two-handed grip.

The Bastard Sword is the newer version than the one I have as well. There have been some extensive descriptions of the changes, particularly improving the pommel and grip construction to mitigate a breakage problem they used to have. A useful side-effect is that the balance is much better now too. For the price, the blade is actually very well made in terms of strength and flex, but it's not very sharp as shipped. It's still plenty to fly right through pumpkins (cutting them seems to favor blade mass over sharpness). I'm not sure how well it would handle tatami or pool noodles or anything like that. It's probably fine against water bottles.

Sir William:
Hanwei used to use hollow pommels; their earlier works were plagued with poor balance and breakage issues, as Sir Edward stated- their newer work seems to be much better.  I would even go so far as to suggest the Hanwei/Tinker collaborations as they are head and shoulders above any of Hanwei's older lines.

Of the two linked by Leganoth, the first link to the Bastard sword- that is a better, and more historically plausible sword than the second one, the old Hand and a half, which I think was part of the old Ritter Steel lineup.

Leganoth:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2011-08-04, 18:35:51 ---I can see the links now.

I have an older version of the Hand-and-a-Half. The newer ones are more lightweight, but I haven't looked at them closely enough to know how sturdy they are, or how sharp they are. The size of the sword is very much like a typical one-handed sword, but with a two-handed grip.

The Bastard Sword is the newer version than the one I have as well. There have been some extensive descriptions of the changes, particularly improving the pommel and grip construction to mitigate a breakage problem they used to have. A useful side-effect is that the balance is much better now too. For the price, the blade is actually very well made in terms of strength and flex, but it's not very sharp as shipped. It's still plenty to fly right through pumpkins (cutting them seems to favor blade mass over sharpness). I'm not sure how well it would handle tatami or pool noodles or anything like that. It's probably fine against water bottles.

--- End quote ---

So if I was to get the bastard sword could I sharpen it to just slice through noodles as you said like butter? The sword I have is breaking down, not sharp, loose blade, etc. 50$ cant even cut through paper. Very sad.

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Leganoth on 2011-08-05, 00:20:05 ---So if I was to get the bastard sword could I sharpen it to just slice through noodles as you said like butter? The sword I have is breaking down, not sharp, loose blade, etc. 50$ cant even cut through paper. Very sad.

--- End quote ---

I don't think it has ideal blade geometry, but if it were sharpened, yes, I think it would cut well enough. It'll never be the mean cutter that the Albion Baron is, since the blade is thicker in the "sweet spot", but it's not bad for under $200.

As an aside, I'm probably going to sell mine. But mine is the older model, before the revisions, so the balance and durability aren't as good. It still slices and dices pumpkins very well though. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version