Main > The Armoury

Great helm liners

<< < (2/12) > >>

Leganoth:
Not sure if the instructions in the link would work on a great helm

Sir Wolf:
why not? most helmets i have seen in period have an interior liner.  all you would have to do is make the liner (maybe shorter than the bassinet version) i would remove the rivets on the helmet at the area that the liner should attach to and put in a leather brow band and then re-rivet the holes. then sew the liner to the brow band

Sir Brian:
The Red Knight is correct with the link he provided as the one I relied upon most when I made the liners for two of my helms. They are pretty simple to make with a basic sewing machine. Sir Wolf is also correct in that liners are very period and most were sewn into the helm but I recommend you use Velcro to attach it to the helm so you can wash the liner occasionally unless you intend always wear an arming cap to soak up the sweat! ;)
…which reminds me I have to wash my helm liner. If I get to it this weekend I’ll post a picture of my liner in and out of the helm, oh and cotton or linen material for the shell and cotton batting for the stuffing is the most comfortable IMO. ;)

Sir Patrick:

--- Quote from: Leganoth on 2011-07-30, 04:56:40 ---Not sure if the instructions in the link would work on a great helm

--- End quote ---

I added a small "pillow" inside the liner to fill in the space between the top of my head and the peak of my sugarloaf.  For a flat-topped helm, I would use the tutorial to make the sides and back of the liner, then make a separate piece for the top and sew/tie them together.  One word of caution, I really stuffed my liner full, and while it fits wonderfully over a bare head, I'm going to have to take some stuffing out to account for my new coif.

Leganoth:
Hmm i see, what would be better though cotton or linnen as a liner?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version